Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: morning and night only?

Default morning and night only?

I am interseted in only nursing in the morning and evening now that my DS is 1 year old. I would love to stop pumping at work. We have tried some cows milk and he loves it.
    How long can we do just 2 times a day? Will I slowly loose my milk? Friend said she lost it within a month. What is your experience?
    Mom to DS born 2/2/10

We love
    We excusivley for 6 months now at work and at home

Default Re: morning and night only?

Friend said she lost it within a month

shoot my dd just nursed at bedtime for over a year....

How much are you nursing now? If you let us know what your current pattern is we can give you some more specific advice.

Most moms wean from the pump at a year, so that shouldn't be a problem especially if your little one already takes cow's milk.

If I were you I would pump wean, but keep nursing on your regular pattern when you are at home at least for a little while- maybe a month or two- to let your supply regulate to not producing during the weekday. Then slowly cut down on the number of nursings until you are only doing morning and evening.

If you are currently nursing at night you may want to use a specific process to night wean. Dr. Jay Gordon has a good one that a lot of moms here have had success with. But keep in mind those one year molars are or are going to be coming in and that might result in more frequent night waking for a little while.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I am currently nursing 4 times a day, spaced evenly throught the day and very occasionally at night. Baby usually sleeps 12 hrs at night with no feeding.

So I guess I will start by eliminating one feeding/pumping at a time. But I would like to know more about pump weaning and still keeping my same nursing schedule on the weekends. How does that work?

THanks for you help...
    Mom to DS born 2/2/10

We love
    We excusivley for 6 months now at work and at home