Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when to do when....

Default when to do when....

i am a first time mom...This week I realized that my 19 week old baby is growing so fast so i decided to delay solids even though the ped was telling us to starting in a month or when she is 5 and a half months...But today I was in awe...I was eating some yogurt. She reached in the container dipped her hand in and put it in her mouth. I thought ohh this was just a mistake she doesn't know....She then grabbed the spoon and proceeded to eating the yogurt.I tried to stop her and she had a fit. She wanted her spoon back. She ate about a teaspoon or two of yogurt. I felt so bad but i couldn't stop her. This afternoon she launched at my banana and started chewing and softening it. I took the banana away and she started crying and reaching for the banana...What do i do? Is it just a mistake or does she actually want that food? HELP.i wanted to wait as long as possible before introducing solids. BTW she is exclusively breastfed.
    first time mama to a gassy but adorable baby named Makayla- Wouldn't give up breasfeeding for anything in the world.

We co-sleep, we love and

Default Re: when to do when....

So she's 4.5 months right now?

At this point, I don't think there's any harm in allowing her to taste solids. In fact, there's even some new evidence suggesting that early (i.e. prior to 6 months) introduction of solids may be protective against food allergies. However, I think the key word here is "taste." For a young baby, a taste is all that's required. So if you choose to offer solids, I'd keep it to a teaspoon or so.

Sometimes babies are interested not so much in food but in mimicking mama. So if you want to delay solids until 6 months, you could try offering your baby a spoon or a spoon and bowl to play with. That might satisfy her urge to experiment without necessitating actually having her eat anything.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't think tasting would hurt. However, try to stick to one food for a couple days without introducing too many at once so that if your LO has an allergic reaction you'll have a better idea of which food it was.
    Also, and I hope mamas will chime in, I want to say that from what I remember dairy should not be introduced until closer to 1yr of age
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

yougart is ok earlier for some babies cause its cooked.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t045700.asp

I agree with mommal that it could be about mimicking momma. I'd try to offer a spoon and bowl and see if that consoles her for now. Offering solids early has no nutritional benefit because thier little tummys aren't ready to digest it. Keep an eye on her poos if you start offering solids. If the poos aren't similar to what they were before offering I'd back off and reintroduce solids later.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

thanksladies...i will try giving her a bowl and spoon first. I will keep you guys posted!
    first time mama to a gassy but adorable baby named Makayla- Wouldn't give up breasfeeding for anything in the world.

We co-sleep, we love and