Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not pooping enough??

Default Not pooping enough??

Good morning ladies,
    I have a 3 week old and she use to poop 2-3 times a day and in the last 10 days she is pooping maybe once a day.Yesterday she was straining like she was about to poop but never did.She also has smelly gas.She has had a combined total of maybe 3 oz of formula over the past week. She has not had any formula in 2 days now.

I hope I am not being overly concerned but I have a 3 year old that had serious constipation issues and was breastfed also so now I am wondering what is wrong with my milk??

I need help I do not know what to do...

Steph

Default Re: Not pooping enough??

breastfed babies can drop to a poopy diaper every few days at this stage. as long as the poop is still runny mustard like they are not constipated. if the stools are hard, then they are constipated
    still active, eating well, and good wet diaper production?
    Jenna, momma to Lillian (1/1/11)
    Cosleeping, cloth diapering
    milk donated to date: 3182 ounces

That is good to know.She does still eat well ,has a lot of wet diapers and is not to fussy.
    Thank you so much for your post!

Until about six weeks, breastfed babies should have about 3-4 poops per day, the size of a quarter or bigger. After about six weeks, some BF babies only poop once a week and there is a huge range of normal.

However, when you give formula it changes the baby's poop and that is probably the reason the change.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    However, when you give formula it changes the baby's poop and that is probably the reason the change.
    I was going to suggest the same thing. I think it could have something to do with the additional iron in formula which can slow things down a little for infants. Again, as long as your LO seems comfortable for the moment, and the poop is loose when LO does go, I wouldn't be too concerned.
    Married my best friend 07/19/2008
    Proud mama to Harper Anne born 09/10/2010
    and every moment of motherhood

my LO is almost 4 weeks and skips days (no poop, lots of pee)
    EBF
    ped says it is completely fine.
    Jenna, momma to Lillian (1/1/11)
    Cosleeping, cloth diapering
    milk donated to date: 3182 ounces

Smile Re: Not pooping enough??

Thank you so much ladies for your advice and comfort.I had a feeling that the formula could have affected it.Of course shortly after I posted this she pooped liked a champ. I have decided to only give her pumped bm and no more formula and see what her movements are like then.