Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: question about vitimins/supplements

Default question about vitimins/supplements

I actually have two questions.

I am taking an over the counter pre-natal vit. I am also taking a b-complex vit and 600 mg st john's wort for depression.

My hair is really falling out and my stylist suggested additional hair/nail vits from the healh food store. I have been trying to research this but research is not my strong suit. And I am concerned about adding additional stuff while bf'ing my 4 mo old. Does anyone know about this?

My second question concerns adding lecithin for re-occuring clogged ducts. Here is another supplement in the mix. I also read taking this can cause depression. And here I am taking St John's Wort trying to avoid zoloft due to depression. I am bi-polar and had ppd with my first child as well.

Does anyone have info or experience with these? I am hesitant to call my midwife group b/c the nurse tried to tell me awhile back it was okay to drink a wellness tea that had an ingredient not considered safe.

Thank you.

Wink Re: question about vitimins/supplements

Hi there!!

I'm going to start at the bottom and add some links for your reference:

The pre-natal vitamin is fine, and the vit B complex also appears to be safe, but is there a particular reason why you are concerned about lack of vitamins in your body? how is your diet?
    The way vitamin supplements work, is *if* there is a deficiency in your body, the vitamin will fill that (provided that particular vitamin is in the supplement) but if you are eating right, and your body doesn't actually *need* that vitamin, your body will get rid of it.

Now, onto the depression. There is no info on our LLLI website about St John's Wort, so this is a link from Kelly Mom, IT IS NOT A LA LECHE LEAGUE APPROVED ARTICLE, but there are references from Dr Hale, whose book we use as leaders for info regarding medication and lactation.

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/stjohnwort.html

Some quotes from this article:

"St. John's Wort acts as a very weak antidepressant (SSRI) and has been shown
    to be effective for treating mild forms of depression. There is no evidence that St. John’s Wort is effective for treating severe forms of depression. Toxicity is considered to be quite low and side effects include GI disturbances, headache, insomnia and (rarely) photosensitivity. Because St. John's Wort causes the liver to metabolize some types of drugs much faster, you should consult your health care provider or pharmacist before taking this herb to check for adverse drug-to-drug interactions. Some sources recommend that St. John's Wort should not be used during pregnancy due to its uterotonic effects."

Thomas Hale, RPh, PhD, author of Medications and Mothers' Milk, says that St. John's Wort appears to be relatively safe for nursing mothers, but recommends that caution be used. He suggests that other treatments (Zoloft, Paxil) are probably preferred.

Is there any particular reason why you don't want to or can't use Zoloft? This drug is the preferred medication for depression, but ofcourse, your doctor is the one that can help you figure out what (if any) drug is best for you. But Zoloft seems to be safe (according to Hale and other medical literature and studies) for breastfeeding mothers.

About the hair loss, I would recommend seeing your doctor, it's best to see *IF* you have a vitamin deficiency (and if you do, where) before adding more vitamin supplements.

I hope this helps!

Warmly,
    Carmen