Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pumping in the car

Default Re: Pumping in the car

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    We've had that discussion. Was it you, @3boysmomma, who assured me that lots of cop's wives pump in the car, and the officer would be likely to say "Carry on, Mama!"? Whereas I always hoped it would freak the officer out so bad he'd forget to give me the ticket I probably deserved for sliding through stop signs (what we call a "California stop" round here). But oh right - nursing covers! Totally stupid for actually nursing, but great for pumping in the car.
    Well, I'm a cop's wife and I pumped in the car. I asked my DH to ask around his dept to see what the other officers would say and they all said they would probably say "have a nice day" as long as they were putting anyone in danger ie excessive speeding or running red lights. Most cops don't really WANT to give you a ticket as much as people think they do.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*3boysmomma View Post
    Most cops don't really WANT to give you a ticket as much as people think they do.
    Especially if it involves seeing a woman hooked up to a milking machine, I'm thinking.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Especially if it involves seeing a woman hooked up to a milking machine, I'm thinking.
    You might see a cop turned red faced if you are brave enough to not stop. I think I would be frantically trying to get unhooked and end up spilling milk all over myself. Then I'd have another thing to try to explain to Mr Policeman.
    Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*3boysmomma View Post
    You might see a cop turned red faced if you are brave enough to not stop. I think I would be frantically trying to get unhooked and end up spilling milk all over myself. Then I'd have another thing to try to explain to Mr Policeman.
    Me too. It's hard in the car, because there's no flat place to put those bottles with horns attached, you know?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marilyn612 View Post
    Your body will catch up soon. My car session is my biggest pump of the day now (although my drive is 30 mins. You can also hook up from home to if its a decent drive. I just take the bottles off and only leave the shields attached to me and zip up my coat. No one has noticed yet.

I don't even bother to cover up. Unless you are driving through a city and sitting at stop lights no one is going to notice
    Did you pump for the whole 30 minutes? My drive to work now is a 45 minute drive. 30 mins after leaving my apartment I drop of DS at daycare and I've been pumping from daycare to work which is 15 minutes. I try to nurse DS before we leave. Here's my schedule

4:30am I shower
    5:00ish DS wakes up
    5:30-6:00 start nursing
    6:30 leave for work
    7:00 drop DS at DCP
    7:10ish pump
    7:30 arrive at work
    9:30 Pump
    12:30 Pump
    3:30 Pump
    4:30 leave work
    5:00ish pick up DS
    5:45 walk dog
    6:00 nurse DS

I'm not sure I'd get much if I pumped right when I leave the house. But we'll see how it goes. Today I only got 1 ounce when I pumped. And the session in the car is making my 9:30 session not as productive. I'm getting the sam 3 - 4 ounces but I'm pumping twice instead of once. Just gonna keep it up and see if it makes a difference after a couple days.
    Love being a mom to DS
    Love and helps keep my sanity.
    at work is annoying but worth it for DS.
    helps me feel closer to DS since I'm away during the day.

with my Hubby who is currently in remission from Leukemia. Everyday is a blessing!

Me too. It's hard in the car, because there's no flat place to put those bottles with horns attached, you know?
    Someone needs to create cup holder adapters for bottles....Hmmm!
    Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rangersmom View Post
    Just gonna keep it up and see if it makes a difference after a couple days.
    You should see an increase in production soon. It does take a little time for your body to adjust to the extra requirements. And remember the pump is not as efficient as your baby so it will take longer with the pump than if it were your baby trying to increase your supply.
    Michelle

I pump dailey on my commute and the tricks are to put already assembled bottle and flanges in a gallon size bag with the caps on the bottom. I have a bag for work and one for my commute. That way when I am finished pumping I have a place to put the dirty parts until I can clean them.

Also this trick from Kelly Mom is fantastic because it works with any nursing bra, so I do not have to worry about slow hook ups and detatches. I just wait for a moment for the suction to begin and both hands are free! BTW nursing covers are fantastic because you can still see the seatbelt but pull away the cloth to make sure the milk is not going to overflow!

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumping/hands...ping.html:clap

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*javabee View Post
    I pump dailey on my commute and the tricks are to put already assembled bottle and flanges in a gallon size bag with the caps on the bottom. I have a bag for work and one for my commute. That way when I am finished pumping I have a place to put the dirty parts until I can clean them.

Also this trick from Kelly Mom is fantastic because it works with any nursing bra, so I do not have to worry about slow hook ups and detatches. I just wait for a moment for the suction to begin and both hands are free! BTW nursing covers are fantastic because you can still see the seatbelt but pull away the cloth to make sure the milk is not going to overflow!

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumping/hands...ping.html:clap
    I think your smiley got attached to this link. Here's the correct link:

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumping/hands-free-pumping.html

I pump on my way to work and on my way home. My drive is like an hour each way for now.

I usually put on my hands free bustier before I leave the house or work - and do the rest in the first 10 min of my commute while I'm driving - I have several lights at each end of the drive with a lot of highway in between.

I don't use a nursing cover, although between the hands free set up and whatever shirt I'm wearing, I don't think anyone can see anything.

I manage to get 1 to 1.5 oz on each drive but that's it. Then again, my typical pumping day goes something like this:

0430 - Pump
    0530 - feed LO
    0610 - Pump till about 0700
    0900 - Pump
    1200 - Pump
    3pm - Pump
    4:10 - Pump till about 5:00
    5:30 - feed LO

Then I feed her all evening and night as she'll take it.

I'm still sitting around 13-14 oz. She's taking anywhere from 16 - 18 at daycare. (11 hrs = 16.5 but there's about an hour or 1.5 hrs between when I leave and when she's at home still with daddy before drop off - so really 12.5 hrs = 18.75 oz )

I've not yet made more milk in a day than she's consumed at daycare.

I'm gonna keep pumping till I can't stand it.....