Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 WHOLE Ounces

Default 4 WHOLE Ounces

I'm a bit upset and needed to vent. I don't quite know what to say yet - I was too mad at daycare when I picked up.

My DCP has been doing great feeding my baby girl .... we have a little left over milk here and there - 1 or so ounces some days... well today... I walked in and she had a 4oz bottle warmed up!

Can I put it back in the fridge for tomorrow if/when she does that? She uses a candle warmer tray thingie with a glass mason jar of water on it to warm bottles - they don't get very hot - but hot enough that I worry that I can't put it back in the fridge.

So tonight, while I pumped a lousy 2 oz, my husband fed her that 4 oz bottle.

I am barely keeping up and it broke my heart to see 4 oz "wasted" that could have stayed in the fridge until tomorrow. <sigh>

Default Re: 4 WHOLE Ounces

I would have saved it and used it the next day, if she hadn't drank from the bottle yet. I don't think that would make it go bad. Was it frozen before? I'm not sure if that would change my answer, just curious.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Nope. It was fresh. I wasn't sure what the rules were for fresh heated milk rechilled... I couldn't find anything anywhere really.

This has happened to me a few times with my son. Very frustrating. I don't think you are supposed to re-chill it, sorry Mama.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I've been told here it's fine to reheat it once more.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I would've put it back in the fridge. Her mouth didn't touch it so there's no worry for contamination. No way I would've wasted 4oz.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I also give it a tiny taste if in doubt.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Taste test when in doubt. But Fresh milk that has never been frozen AND has not been drank out of is good for 8hours at room temperature. So it can certainly be put back in the fridge and kept if it's been out less time than that.

Way too lazy for formula