Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 month old not eating much solids at all...

Default 10 month old not eating much solids at all...

I'm getting a little concerned.
    We did baby led solids, starting at around 6 months. He was really into it for a while, and he still tries everything we offer him.
    However, the total amount of solids he eats is absolutely ridiculously small...
    He nurses 6 times a day still, so I am not concerned about nutrition (even though he hasn't gained much weight at all in the last couple of months, he is healthy and happy and all that).
    But here is the typical eating for us:
    He nurses at 6 am, 8 am, 12 pm, 4 pm, 6 pm and 8 pm. (approximately, he is not on a schedule, thats just around when he asks for it)
    Now, at 9 am I try to feed him some breakfast. Today I managed to have him eat 2 baby spoons of oatmeal. Thats it. For lunch, at around 2 pm, he ate a baby spoon of vegetable soup and 4 cheerios. For dinner we sit down with him and try offering him everything we could from our plates. Last night he ate one penne, about a teaspoon worth of avocado and a tiny sliver of roasted carrot.

We try to let him feed himself. We try to puree stuff and feed him. We try to feed him our foods with a spoon. We try to feed him with fingers. We try to feed him with chopsticks... nothing. rejected, rejected, rejected...

He does drink water during meals. He will also - sometime - accept a slice of bread and will eat that.

But all in all, throughout the day, he probably consumes maybe 1 oz of solid foods at the MOST.

Is this normal??? I am looking at my niece, who is 8 months old, and she puts away 4-5 jars of baby food a day (she is also formula fed now, but still).
    Mine just turns his head away and ignores everything.

I am getting really frustrated now. Do I need to cut down nursing to have him eat more solids? What do I do???
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

Default Re: 10 month old not eating much solids at all...

My DD is a picky eater and would really only eat a handful of "snacks" (fruit). Once the amount of bfing decreased she did start eating more solids. Slowly I started replacing a bfing session with solids. Sometimes I'd even give her solids then top her off with bfing. Even now at 20mths she prefers jarred food for the most part, except for fruit. But whatever I cook she really doesn't show interest in. I started by trying to mimic the jarred foods. Instead of her Cinnamon raisin granola & oatmeal gerbers, I started making them for her with oatmeal and cream of wheat and putting her favorite fruit in there. Just keep trying.
    I have read that a teaspoon=a serving for infants, IIRC.
    This website helped me find a starting point and by lots of "trial and error" type attempts, like slowly adjusting the textures & flavors. DD wasn't too fond of Stage 3 foods, but now she's beginning to show a little more interest...a little.
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/pur...odandstore.htm
    HTH
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

pretty normal.

just keep trying.
    he'll eat when he's ready and not before that.

Relax. It's normal. Until a year, breastmilk alone meets his nutritional needs, and solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. After a year solids become an increasingly important part of a baby's diet, but they still may not make up the majority of his diet until well into his second year. After all, it's not like babies go from needing no or very little solid food on day 364 to needing 3 full meals a day on day 365.

My first daughter had barely any interest in solid food until 14-15 months, and did just fine. Seriously, she ate maybe a teaspoon or two of solids per day until that point, and some days she ate no solids at all. It was stressful for me because I felt that she "should" be eating more solids- especially because I would see babies who were younger than her obediently opening their mouths for spoon after spoon of puree!

So, here's what I wish I had known:
    1. Your job is not to make your baby eat, or to coax him to eat by offering "treat" foods.
    2. Your job is to put healthy choices in front of your baby and let him decide when and how to get them into his mouth.
    3. Solids are for fun. If your baby eats some, great! If he tastes some and then spits it out, great! At least he tried. And if he won't even taste it, and prefers to much the solids with his hands, fine! He had a good time and set the stage for more fun in the future.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Relax. It's normal. Until a year, breastmilk alone meets his nutritional needs, and solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton