Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laid-Back Breastfeeding

Default Laid-Back Breastfeeding

Laid-back breastfeeding

This is basically what the LC had me do yesterday and it was soooo comfortable compared to what we had been doing, which was cross-cradle or football hold. With those we were both sweaty and upset by the time we latched, if we did at all. Plus I was so hunched over with tension that I started getting back and neck spasms. So today I tried this again, just reclining on the corner part of our sectional couch, stroked his back until we started rooting, then mostly let him latch himself, and we achieved a slightly uncomfortable but not painful latch.

Anyone else do this with a newborn? Did it help with sore nipples?
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Default Re: Laid-Back Breastfeeding

I didn't do that specifically, but the position is similar to what I ended up doing with both of mine. I never had latch issues though, so I'm not sure about whether it helps with that.

It certainly sounds less stressful and more...well, laid back. If it's working for you guys go for it!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Excited to try this!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I haven't tried it, but I'm so glad you found something that worked for you!!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

There are several good articles on laid-back breastfeeding on Nancy Mohrbacher's blog (the author of Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple).

One I particularly like is a short guest post by Diane Wiessinger, called "Doing It Right." The basic gist being, it doesn't matter if you're doing it "right," what matters is if it works.

ETA: Video.
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; January 25th, 2011 at 05:25 PM.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I have problems with OS/OALD, and this is one of the positions that has worked best for us. By keeping DD on top of the breast, she gags and chokes much less. We started with this position in the hospital, and at 6mos it is still her favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wdsmom View Post

I have problems with OS/OALD, and this is one of the positions that has worked best for us. By keeping DD on top of the breast, she gags and chokes much less. We started with this position in the hospital, and at 6mos it is still her favorite.
    Me too. It's awesome for OALD. We started doing this at about 4ish weeks and it was such a relief and super comfy too. I always called this The Austrailian (I read that somewhere) because mama is "down under" baby. I hope it helps you guys Karen!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I haven't tried it, but I'm so glad you found something that worked for you!!
    So happy you guys are getting it figured out!!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I like it. I don't remember if we did this or not. But TFS.

I could not deal with the cross cradle and one nurse kept trying to get me to do the football hold and I was just not comfortable with that one either. I thought I was going to drop my baby.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I did this with both babies - helped with OALD and just seemed more "natural" and comfortable.

I still bf my toddler mostly reclined on the sofa or a comfy chair.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)