Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: drool rash

Default drool rash

Lately my LO has been drooling excessively (he is teething) lately. As a result, he has developed a red rash under his chin and neck. I try to keep it as clean and dry as possible. Should I put some sort of cream on it or should I not be worried at all.

TIA

Default Re: drool rash

I would very gently wash his face with warm water (don't rub, obviously) and then apply a lanolin ointment (like Soothe and Heal by Lansinoh or as a vegan alternative, the Earth Mama Angel Baby Butter). That should help soothe it and protect it from further drool rivers! And try to keep gently wiping the excess drool off his face as often as you can.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Try vaseline, weird as that sounds, it works.

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Vaseline works. Also, cornstarch. My LO is at that age, too, and I use 100% cornstarch baby powder, and it dries him right up. (Otherwise it's hard to sufficiently dry the cracks and crannies!) "They" say to dump the powder into your hand first, and not dumping it out directly on your LO, or they inhale too many of the particles and it's not good for them.