Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: discomfort from pumping, sore nipples

Default discomfort from pumping, sore nipples

I have a Medela Lactina and am currently using 21mm shields. I had been using 27mm shields (same size I used w DS 4yrs ago and had no problems) but was experiencing nipple redness and soreness and discomfort upon starting pumping. I work 3 nights a week and noticed that my nipples were sore after working a few nights, then would feel fine after a few nights off. I did a little research and found my shields were WAY too big. So I tried 24mm, still too big. Now I am using 21mm and they seem to fit my nipples the best. I am also trying to keep the suction lower while I pump to see if that helps but I'm not getting as much milk with it lower. I notice the tips of my nipples look slightly bruised sometimes when I'm done and usually a little swollen. Any ideas?

Default Re: discomfort from pumping, sore nipples

I've recently started to have discomfort from pumping and I've been able to mostly mitigate it by making sure I'm warm and using lanolin cream between pumps.
    Mum to Alexander, born 2nd April 2010

Still at a year and when apart
    Part time cloth and

Midna is our cat - it made sense at two in the morning whilst hunting for help!