Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 13 month old scratching other side

Default 13 month old scratching other side

My 13month old daughter still nurses really well but in the last few weeks she has started to stick her hand in my shirt and scratch the other nipple (play with it but it scratches etc). Any ideas how to stop her from doing this? Is this normal? Its really bothering me. I will try and hold her hand and tell her no but she just freaks out.

Default Re: 13 month old scratching other side

IMO - at that age implementing some nursing "manners" is reasonable. I say - please stop that hurts mommy - and redirect the hand somewhere else. If I'm getting REALLY hurt (like bitten) I stop the nursing session.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

have you tried a nursing necklace?
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

When my 17 m.o. gets too rough during nursing, I will unlatch him and ask "all done?" If he is all done he'll go play, if not he'll try to latch on again, and I'll say "Be nice!" before he starts. If that doesn't work, I'll put him down and tell him "All done!"
    He can be pretty rough, pulling hair, scratching, pinching, slapping, etc. It makes nursing annoying, so I had to put a stop to it if we were going to continue. It seems to have worked, he doesn't often act out during a feed anymore.

I always wear a bra and pull my shirt down over the side. I tell her that mommy doesn't like it when she touches the other side (because it really creeps me out/makes me uncomfortable) (I don't tell her that part but I move her hand and tell her I don't like it. I think babies know it stimulates more milk flow and that is one reason they do it. Otherwise I give her a soft toy to hold or something else to twiddle.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

It's normal, but I doubt there's any mom out there who enjoys it! A more restrictive shirt or bra may help- it's hard to twiddle what you can't get your hands on. Otherwise, redirect, use a nursing necklace, offer a toy. If none of that works, at 13 months you can probably just put her down for a couple minutes the moment twiddling starts- she may eventually figure out that twiddling starts = nursing stops.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"