Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: amount of feeding 8mo.

Default amount of feeding 8mo.

My 8 mo. seems to be feeding a lot. She's always fed a lot, for small periods of time, but lately seems even more, for a few weeks now. Maybe a growth spurt, but maybe this means she needs more solids? She doesn't eat much solids and has only been eating some for about a month. I wonder if she's getting enough since I am always hungry now even worse than before. I don't know who to ask about how much she should be feeding, etc. because everyone gives me so many opinions (like "you're still breastfeeding?") and its so frustrating. Sooo...I guess I want advice on what to do about this, if anything- is it normal at this age? She still eats 8-10 times a day I think on average, sometimes more. She seems to be so hungry and I am so hungry too. Maybe I need to be more diligent about solid foods for her as well.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Default Re: amount of feeding 8mo.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    My 8 mo. seems to be feeding a lot. She's always fed a lot, for small periods of time, but lately seems even more, for a few weeks now. Maybe a growth spurt, but maybe this means she needs more solids? She doesn't eat much solids and has only been eating some for about a month. I wonder if she's getting enough since I am always hungry now even worse than before. I don't know who to ask about how much she should be feeding, etc. because everyone gives me so many opinions (like "you're still breastfeeding?") and its so frustrating. Sooo...I guess I want advice on what to do about this, if anything- is it normal at this age? She still eats 8-10 times a day I think on average, sometimes more. She seems to be so hungry and I am so hungry too. Maybe I need to be more diligent about solid foods for her as well.

Any thoughts? Thanks
    Sounds perfectly normal to me. Right now your DD's main souce of food is breastmilk, not solids. Solids before a year are just practice and do not hold any real source of nutrician. My DD is a little over a year old and still nurses anywhere from 10-16 times a day, almost every hour to hour and a half, depending on the day and if she wants to nurse at night. Some days she wants to spend all day on boobie, others, she will nurse less. I found when baby goes to bed or asleep, to make sandwiches and put them in baggies in the fridge, it's easy to grab when baby is hungry and so are you, so you can have something to eat also. Good Luck.

DS is about the same age and does the same thing. It's "normal" at this house.

Quote Originally Posted by I-Man's Momma View Post
    DS is about the same age and does the same thing. It's "normal" at this house.
    Very good point. You have to look at what is normal for your house. My DS doesn't "usually" nurse for comfort. He nurses for food...so he nurses a LOT less than most babies on this forum. He nurses 5 maybe 6 times a day. There are days when he wants to nurse all the time, but those are few and far between and I can count on one hand the days he's done this since birth.

If its working for you, diaper output (wets and poops are good) then go with it. Normal is relative to each family/child.

I actually TRIED to make my son nurse when he was fussing (he wasn't hungry, just whiney from getting new teeth) and...HE BIT ME! LOL, he was telling me that he was not hungry and did not want to eat. Now, if only his mama would learn that food is not for comfort, she'd be better off for it!

Good luck
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Thanks... I find it so hard sometimes to understand what is "normal" for us since I don't want to miss a problem, but at the same time not be over-reactive, and everyone around me seems to be giving me a hard time about nursing a lot, solids, etc. It helps to know there are others who think this is okay!