Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: getting through the night; Dr. Gordon vs. Dr. Sears?

Default getting through the night; Dr. Gordon vs. Dr. Sears?

Hi everyone, after a year of breastfeeding and cosleeping, I'm really exhausted and want to get more sleep! DD is pretty irregular, some nights nursing twice, others waking every hour or two! It probably doesn't help that she eats next to nothing in terms of solids - she just doesn't seem interested even though I give her 3 meals a day (I'll be talking to her pedi soon about this). DH can help at night especially on weekends, when he could take over so I could get some sleep. However, if DH settles her back to sleep when she is used to nursing, isn't that some form of night weaning? And isn't doing that 2 nights per week worse than night weaning, because then she doesn't know what to expect? Is there a way to night wean down to one feeding a night? Nursing once or twice is fine with me - it's the all night nursing sessions that have to change soon. I get terribly irritable when I'm that tired, and it's just not good for other family members, nor DD!

I'm also interested in people's experiences with either Dr. Gordon's or Dr. Sear's approaches to night weaning. Or Pantley's. Thanks!
    Last edited by @llli*aimeecote; January 24th, 2011 at 07:25 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

Default Re: getting through the night; Dr. Gordon vs. Dr. Sears?

We just nightweaned with the Jay Gordon method, modified. I nursed less and less each time ds woke up and then during a 3 day weekend, dh started getting him and rocking him back to sleep. We are still rocking him back to sleep a week later and are planning on trying to just rub and pat him back to sleep beginning in the next few days. Sadly, nightweaning hasn't helped him sleep better. He is still getting up 2 to 5 times a night. But at least now dh can put him back to sleep so we take turns. Pantley didn't work for us, it just didn't work with ds and his personality. He is 16 months btw. Good luck!
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

With DS1 I used ideas from both Gordon & Sears. Figured out which parts made the most sense for our family.

No experience with Pantley.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I don't know that what you are doing is "worse than night weaning." My dd is 18 months and nurses from a low of 3 times a night to staying latched on basically all night, but usually around 4-8 times. Once in a while though, if I am sick or just exhausted and am getting really frustrated I give her to my husband and he pats he a few minutes and then she falls asleep in his arm.

Every morning just about, I get up a few hrs before they do so I can run (gotta get out the door in a minute here!) and she does ask for me about 1/2 the time "nurse! breast!" but he pats her and she falls back to sleep. I really don't think we're confusing her and I can't just stay in bed with her the whole night or I would never get my running in.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nsm View Post
    Sadly, nightweaning hasn't helped him sleep better. He is still getting up 2 to 5 times a night. But at least now dh can put him back to sleep so we take turns.
    It seems like maybe 50% of the people on here say night weaning helped with waking and the other 50% that it didn't. I'm hoping that when I do try it, she's in the first 50%!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    With DS1 I used ideas from both Gordon & Sears. Figured out which parts made the most sense for our family.

No experience with Pantley.

Hmm...so you did night wean? I'm thinking of using the part from Dr. Gordon where instead of picking 7 hours, I start with say 3, from 12 to 3. we can gradually increase the stretch.

ITs worth a try...

At that visit ask about her iron levels, mine slept a little bit beter once she had beter iron levels cause she started eating a little bit more solid foods.

good luck... take your hubbies help when you can. Shes a little young yet to reason with.
    Are you co-sleeping? Sometimes if you put a little distance between mom and baby it helps

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    ITs worth a try...
    good luck... take your hubbies help when you can. Shes a little young yet to reason with.
    Are you co-sleeping? Sometimes if you put a little distance between mom and baby it helps
    I have a hard time taking his help because when I can hear her screaming, after a few minutes, I give up and go to her. It's probably better to give them the chance to get used to him putting her back to sleep...is that some form of night weaning?

I try sleeping in our bed, at least that's where I start out. I haven't seen that really make a difference, but I'll keep doing what I'm doing. I start in my bed and join her in her room on the futon the first time she wakes.

my hubby wasn't able to put any of ours back to sleep till they were much older. like over 2
    maybe he can do something else? take over bath time or take a walk with her after supper so you can have some down time?

sometimes just cutting a day time feed and replacing it with foods helps you feal beter about the feeds that remain,

It was hard the first night to hear ds crying for mama but I knew that he was safe and being comforted and loved by dh. I could hear dh singing him a song and I felt that everytime I interveined it just made it worse, dh would feel incapable and ds would cry harder for me the next time. By the third night they hit their stride and dh found the best way he could comfort ds and ds learned to be soothed by dh. I have been surprised how much more confidence he has as a parent realizing he can calm his child and put him to sleep.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again