Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: why do they feed so much at the one year mark??

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

Default why do they feed so much at the one year mark??

I don't mind - really! Only sometimes ha ha! But my little fella turned one and turned into the milk monster all over again! He stays on there for AGES (great for reading and chatting again), and wants to go on LOADS.

Why is this? I've read it's really common and to do with development. People at my work look at me a bit gone out when they find I can feed Edward four times in an hour and half when i get home from work.

It's not all about the actual boob juice is it? Just the sucking?

Interested to hear about evryone's experiences

Default Re: why do they feed so much at the one year mark??

Reconnecting after being apart all day. My LO is 19 months and he nurses for a while when we get home. He directs me to the couch by saying "go...ni-ni" Ni-ni is his word for nursing. I think its adorable and a good excuse for me to rest on the couch after work before starting dinner.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

with the PP about reconnecting. Also, I think it can be a result of your baby's increasing interest in his communication skills. He realizes that he can get you to fill a need by communicating it, and wants to practice that over and over again.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Could also be a growth spurt.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I work only one day a week away from home and as soon as I get home she wants to nurse and that night she just nurses all night long. She always nurses more the day after, too.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Could also be a growth spurt.
    this is what i came in to say. 1 year is prime time for a spurt. i know dd had a mean one around 1 yr...
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

I'm thinking growth spurt. I think Gavin is going through one too (as well as teething at the same time). He was up at least 6 times last night. Too many to keep track.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

It's because their first year molars are breaking. And they hurt and take a long time to come in. They increase their nursing to help them cope with the pain. Remember, anytime a child increases their intake to the point of irritation (especially the night wakings) it's usually due to teeth, hitting a milestone or fighting of an infection. This time a year it can be warding off infections, but the one year increase is usually about the huge holes being forced into existence in the back of their mouths.

Way too lazy for formula

I think it's all of these reasons and more. Developmentally, one year olds are learning to walk away from you and explore, so they want to come back and check in and make sure you're still there periodically. My baby's favorite way to do this is to make sure the boobs are still available! It's a separation thing. Also a growth spurt/molar thing. It tends to very intense around the time baby is first learning to walk and/or cutting teeth, and then get less intense (but still frequent) as baby gets more comfy with new abilities, I think.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.