Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: questions about vitamins/supplements

Default questions about vitamins/supplements

I actually have two questions.

I am taking an over the counter pre-natal vit. I am also taking a b-complex vit and 600 mg st john's wort for depression.

My hair is really falling out and my stylist suggested additional hair/nail vits from the healh food store. I have been trying to research this but research is not my strong suit. And I am concerned about adding additional stuff while bf'ing my 4 mo old. Does anyone know about this?

My second question concerns adding lecithin for re-occuring clogged ducts. Here is another supplement in the mix. I also read taking this can cause depression. And here I am taking St John's Wort trying to avoid zoloft due to depression. I am bi-polar and had ppd with my first child as well.

Does anyone have info or experience with these? I am hesitant to call my midwife group b/c the nurse tried to tell me awhile back it was okay to drink a wellness tea that had an ingredient not considered safe.

Thank you.

Default Re: questions about vitamins/supplements

I can only answer the first part of your post -- about your hair falling out. This appears to be very common at about 4 months postpartum. I don't understand the reason for it -- something to do with the natural cycle of hormones left over from pregnancy? -- and I don't recall experiencing it myself, but I've heard from many women that they go through this and that it is normal. Thus, especially if you are concerned about adding further supplements to your diet right now, I would just wait this one out. The hair loss should stop soon.

I had not heard before that lecithin is linked to an increase in depression, so thank you for sharing that. If you have a link that I could add to my files, I'd be very appreciative.

I have read elsewhere that recurring clogged ducts can often be traced back to latch and positioning problems -- the baby isn't draining the breast evenly, and so the poorly-drained areas are prone to blockage. I know that as a baby gets older, it is easy to get a little sloppy with latch technique, so evaluate what you're doing and be vigilant about a deep and proper latch.

I hope others here will have something useful to add, as I am clearly outside of my own areas of knowledge here.

--Rebecca

Look at Dr Hales website for that stuff

http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/cgi-b...s&access=guest

My hair also fell out about that time but now at 9 months everything is fine!