Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: chomping and falling asleep

Default chomping and falling asleep

Hi,

My daughter, 6 days old (born 2 days before due date), seems to be chomping on the nipple/aereola instead of massaging it. Anything to do about this? It could be my perception, maybe strong suction is normal. I have bf her two older brothers but it didn't go well with my second and I weaned him early so I don't have a good recollection of what it should be like. Am I supposed to feel anything when she's latched on right, or am I not supposed to feel anything?

Also, she sometimes falls asleep very quickly on the boob, within 3-5 minutes. She's only 6 days, will she outgrow this? She seems to get about 3 really good feedings in a day, meaning strong sucking on both sides for 10-15 minutes. The rest of the feedings are not so good and some are real struggles to keep her awake. Is all this typical and I just need to wait it out?

Default Re: chomping and falling asleep

I'm nursing my second baby, born a week ago, and having a similar problem with the chomping feeling. I'm seeing a lactation consultant tomorrow and will let you know if we figure it out, but I would also recommend you find one in your area. It was a major help to me with my first LO and I ended up going back about 8 times just until we had a solid nursing relationship.

Are you checking to see if her tongue is down/out while she is latched on?

You could try breast compressions to see if that keeps her going longer without falling asleep. Are you nursing skin-to-skin? How are her diapers?
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

the first week or so i found i had to keep waking mine up.
    when she'd dose off, i'd rub her head to wake her back up. at 24 days, she has the attention span to nurse well on her own
    Jenna, momma to Lillian (1/1/11)
    Cosleeping, cloth diapering
    milk donated to date: 3182 ounces

happy - did she always wake when you'd wake her or did you still have a lot of low-energy nursing sessions? Did it adversely affect your supply??

she always started nursing again, although i often had to repeatedly wake her.
    my supply seems to be good so far
    Jenna, momma to Lillian (1/1/11)
    Cosleeping, cloth diapering
    milk donated to date: 3182 ounces

Has baby been checked for tongue tie? I know the chomping is what I've felt with my LO really bad before his tongue was clipped.

Congratulations mama! LO is dozing because all that work is exhausting and mamatime is relaxing, and due to the slowdown in milk release. Try breast compressions.

It looks like you already got some good advice on the chomping aspect. If you're not experiencing nipple trauma, though, that's already a good sign. LO's mouth will grow and the latch will improve. Pain shouldn't be a part of any nursing experience though, how about calling a local LLL leader?
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?