Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Driving me nuts

Exclamation Driving me nuts

My 2 month old has this annoying habit. She likes to push my breast out of her mouth. Except she doesn't "like" it, she cries and wants it back. I don't think she knows what she's doing, she doesn't have enough control over her hands yet. So nursing sessions are constant struggles with me holding her hands back and her desperately trying to push on my breasts! Even the LC noticed she was a wiggleworm.

Short of swaddling (she hates it) how do I get her to cut it out? Or at least someone tell me I'm not alone, lol...
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Default Re: Driving me nuts

It will pass. My DD did the same. Then she would press down with her forearm above the nipple. Now she actually squeezes and pumps it. I think it helps the flow or she like the squishy feeling.

All I know to tell you, is hold her hands. Play some classical or relaxing music. Maybe that will help relax your lo so there is less wiggling.

My ds does the same thing - He constantly wiggles himself off the breast and won't stay latched. I don't know why he does it, but I've found that when he is calm - he nurses really well. I have to do this switch thing with my breast and a pacifier. First, I start feeding him and then when he starts fighting it, I stick the pacifier in his mouth and he calms down for a minute and then I pull the pacifier out and quickly stick my nipple in his mouth and he will nurse for a while and then I have to repeat the process.

My DS does this sometimes too...I hold his hand when he does it because if I don't he will pull himself off! If DH is there and DS is being especially wiggly - I ask DH to help hold that little hand back!
    Jenny
    Mama to Jacob , born 6/11/06
    And his NEW baby brother , born 8/14/08

, , , cloth diapering

This is all too normal. During this time I took a receiving blanket and rolled it up, wrapped it around his arm and gently pulled and tucked it between him and the nursing pillow. This way he was not completely swaddled, his hand was free to touch me, but could not reach my breast. We were both happy
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

my baby does this too but i found that going someplace darker/turning the lights down she doesnt do it so much. Somewhere i read that having something for them to touch thats differnet can help like a feely necklace but it think it was for older babies.

I just put my other hand over that part of my breast and DS pushes and pulls on that instead. Works like a charm. It's funny though, it's like he's milking the breast.

When they get older, they get stonger. DD's favorite thing to do when nursing is to take her foot and press it into the other breast OUCH!!! I am constantly fighting that foot and leg to keep from getting my boob squished!!!
    Good Luck!!!

My DD did the same thing. She still does every now and then, but she got better at not doing it when she as around 4 months old.