Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: reflux or what the?

Default reflux or what the?

Ok...have a 4 week old boy...had been doing ok...rough at first but getting better. He is gaining weight well and has good output with the diapers. The past few nights he has been spitting up after every feeding...not right away but as long as 2 hours later? He will gag, spit up a little....sometimes it doesn't come out...he just gags and coughs. Many times while he is feeding he will grimace and kind of twist his head while still latched on...OUCH! Sometimes he clamps down hard on my nipple...double ouch. We were awake lots last night trying to control the spit up/gagging thing. He is sleeping in our bed btw....thoughts/help? Thanks!!!

Default Re: reflux or what the?

Hi there,
    congrats making it to 4 weeks!! It was soooo hard for me until the 4th week. I had thrush/yeast infections in my breasts and latch problems, it was sooooo painful that at one point I said I would rather go through delivery again (no epidural!). I know it can be hard, and believe me, it ONLY gets easier.
    My daughter gags as well - not so much at night though so we're lucky there. She spits up all over herself and if it's a lot, sometimes she'll take a breath in before she's done and then start coughing. I always just sit her up and pat her back. I've personally never been worried about reflux, but maybe I should? Or my daughter is different than your son.

There are some things that you eat that can cause their little tummies distress: garlic, onions, broccoli, dairy (esp cow's milk), beans. I have list somewhere, but I don't know where it is right now. I know that my daughter cried a LOT at night until she was 6 weeks old because of her tummy problems, and I didn't know that those things could cause her those problems (I eat tons of onions, garlic, etc). But now she seems fine even when I do eat those things, although, she will get windy if I eat broccoli.

Unless my daughter falls asleep at the breast, she often pulls away while still being latched, and it still hurts at 4.5 mo's. Though, it's not nearly as painful as it was in the beginning. I try to stick my finger in to release the suction, but usually I don't know when she's going to turn her head. She often latches and turns her head about 3 or 4 times before the letdown even starts. I've tried holding her head still, but she's much stronger and quicker so it does nothing. Some days my nipples are sore, and others they're not. I know that doesn't help your situation, but just know that it gets less painful and it happens to me too. She did bite down for a little while too, but I stopped that. I would delatch her and firmly tell her "mommy ouch" "that hurts mommy, no bite", and after about a week she completely stopped biting me.

Good job again, and keep it up. I know it's tough, but absolutely amazing!

Do you have any issues with oversupply or overactive letdown? The clamping down sounds like maybe your LO is trying to clamp down to control the flow because it's too fast. Overactive letdown can also cause reflux symptoms, and that COULD be the case with your LO, but it could just be the fast milk flow causing some problems. Do you nurse from both breasts each feeding or only one? Does any of this from this link below sound familiar?

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

As far as foods, there is no good reason to cut out foods from your diet unless you notice a specific reaction to a specific food. Dairy tends to be the biggest culprit.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/avoid.html
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Baby cries a lot, and is often very irritable and/or restless -no
    Baby may sometimes gulp, choke, sputter, or cough during feedings at breast -gulps a lot
    Baby may seem to bite or clamp down on the nipple while feeding -yes
    Milk sprays when baby comes off, especially at the beginning of a feeding my milk doesnt spray?

Mother may have sore nipples -yes!
    Baby may arch and hold himself very stiffly, sometimes screaming - at night
    Feedings often seem like battles, with baby nursing fitfully on and off
    Feedings may be short, lasting only 5 or 10 minutes total -no he sucks 30 min or more every feeding
    Baby may seem to have a "love-hate" relationship with the breast -only at night
    Baby may burp or pass gas frequently between feedings, tending to spit up a lot at night
    Baby may have green, watery or foamy, explosive stools have had a few most are yellow
    Mother's breasts feel very full most of the time yes
    Mother may have frequent plugged ducts, which can sometimes lead to mastitis

I thought I HAD to give both at every feeding?? I will nurse hi on one side until he pulls off or falls asleep. I then burp him & switch to the other side. except at night...I ususally just offer 1 side at a time & we both doze off b4 the other side can be offered. I nurse on my side at night....

I have food allergies myself that include dairy so that isnt it....Any other thoughts based on my response?

I was sobbing in the middle of the night last night, and DH wants me to switch to formula or pump. Is it possible to exclusivly pump and not have him at my breast at all? Would that be better since my supply is jacked up? Please help!

No, pumping is way harder, please don't do that. I'm on my iPod so I can't type a huge response right now, but block feeding might get it under control. I had huge OS issues and it got better with time. I'm still nursing my 14 month old. Is there info about block feeding in the link I posted?
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine