Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when do you start pumping for work?

Default when do you start pumping for work?

I can't remember. Am I supposed to start pumping once a day a couple weeks before I go back? When am I supposed to introduce bottles? At 6 weeks? Or was it at 4 weeks? Why can't I remember??

I haven't really figured out when I'm going back to work... I'm kind of in denial about it right now. I sure wish I could stay home with my babies.

Beatrix is nursing like a champ and I don't really want to do anything to upset the applecart.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Default Re: when do you start pumping for work?

i started pumping 2 weeks before i am scheduled to go back. we are planning on introducing the bottle several days before. i bought 4 different kinds of slow flow nipples hoping something will be to her liking.
    we are on an accelerated timeline since i had to burn through half of my maternity leave on bedrest so LO will only be 4 weeks old when i go back. fortunately i work a 3 day workweek and DH can be home with her for the first several weeks.
    not realy to leave her yet, but really have no choice...
    Jenna, momma to Lillian (1/1/11)
    Cosleeping, cloth diapering
    milk donated to date: 3182 ounces

What worked for me was to pump after one of my morning feeds starting 3-4 weeks before going back. I had oversupply, so more than that was counter productive.

Starting at 4 weeks, I would occ pump in the evening and let my husband feed him. This was probably 2-3 nights out of a week. I wanted to make sure he would take the bottle, but I didn't want him to get nipple confusion.

Some say that you don't need to pump extra at all, beyond what you need for the first day, b/c you'll be pumping each day what you need the next. I wasn't comfortable with that myself, however.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I started one bottle that dp gave once a day at 6 weeks. I also started pumping for my freezer stash at 4 weeks. That was way too early. Waste of my time. Oh well. It's been nice to have. But I have over 200 oz still.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I did a bottle at four weeks and really started concentrating on a freezer stash about two weeks before going back, I pumped after most feedings and one time while max slept
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Well, here's what I did after I had Mason... I waited until he was 6 weeks old before I started any pumping or bottles... Once he was 6 weeks and nursing was very well established, I pumped once per day, usually around 8 or 9am after his feeding at that time. So if I pumped, say, 3 ounces, I froze 2 ounces and kept 1 ounce in the frig. Then later in the day I used that 1 ounce in the frig to practice giving him a bottle. I introduced the bottle at 6 weeks... Mason was not picky and learned very quickly... what I did was just before one of his feedings in the afternoon/early evening, I warmed up that 1 ounce I saved earlier, and tried to get him to drink it. Once I finished with the 1 ounce, I would then nurse him right away so that he wouldn't come to prefer the bottle, and since 1 ounce isn't a full feeding anyway, I knew he was still hungry. I also had my DH practice giving him the 1 ounce bottle at times, and right before he started daycare I took a 1 ounce bottle with me and had one of the caregivers there give it to him to make sure he took it ok. I had to go back to work when he was 10 weeks old, so I did what I described above every day for 4 weeks, and by the time I went back to work I had a GREAT stash in the freezer, and Mason was a pro at taking a bottle, but still preferred the breast. Hope this helps!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I started pumping and giving one bottle a day at 4 weeks (well, DH gave bottle) because I had to go back to work part time at 6 weeks.

I went through my freezer stash soooooo quickly, but I totally didn't know what i was doing or how to do it, lol. I had so much milk at the beginning i would let DH give a bottle once in a while and skip pumping so i could sleep. So dumb.

Anyway, I would say if baby Beatrix is nursing really well you don't have to worry too much about nipple confusion? I know Max switched back and forth really easily, I'm sure you can tell if you think it's something you'll have to worry about.

When I was pumping, I was pumping about ten minutes after I finished feeding him - the logistics of that are sometimes hard though because baby isn't always content to be put down while you pump, and I was home alone a lot. Iguess I would suggest just pumping when you have someone around to help because it kinda sucks getting everything all set up, especially when you're out of practice! and then having to stop mid pump. But maybe my baby was abnormally clingy

I so wished i could stay home, still do. But the first month is the hardest, i'm sure you remember
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

4-6 weeks I think. I started pumping once per day after the am feeding around that time. I had off for 14 weeks. By the time I got back to work I had a nice little stash. I didn't get more than 1/4 ounce at first though.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I pumped once a day after feeding for a few days starting one week prior to going back to work so I would have enough for that first day back. I also started back on a Thursday and DH brought LO up at lunch to nurse so the transition was a little easier.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    Anyway, I would say if baby Beatrix is nursing really well you don't have to worry too much about nipple confusion? I know Max switched back and forth really easily, I'm sure you can tell if you think it's something you'll have to worry about.
    I'm more worried that she won't take the bottle at all, but we'll see. Lilah had a bottle every day until she was 5 weeks old and started refusing them. But now I think it was the lipase. I'll need to dig out the bottles and get newborn nipples...

My doula told me that she thought I should start pumping and bottles when Beatrix is 2 weeks old just to make sure that she'll take them. I think I'm going to go back to work one day a week when she's 8 or 10 weeks old.

I know I don't need more than a day's worth in the freezer, but I'll probably pump some for Lilah to drink and some for a bottle every day or so in a couple weeks.

2 weeks seems to early to me. I'm really enjoying not pumping right now.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months