Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Formula and Breastmilk for Starving Newborn?

Default Formula and Breastmilk for Starving Newborn?

I've breastfed seven children and am still breastfeeding the last two (2.5 and 14 months) I have had really good successes in hospital when they were born with feeding 5 of them, who were sleepy and content. But two of them seemed absolutely starving, frustrated, and unwilling to want to feed.
    I ordered a ready made formula bottle for them (in different situations) and found that after their hunger was satiated they were more open-minded to try the breast.

I got hooks and daggers from the nurses when I suggested this to a new mum in the ward at my last birth who was struggling to feed her baby. The baby was screaming and howling really loudly, and her voice was muffled by the woman's breasts, as she was just forcing them into her open mouth as she screamed. There was no way that baby was going to feed in that state!

I contend that formula has its uses in small cases before the milk comes in and your baby is hungry.

The advice I would give to this technique would be to stand up tall to the person rejecting your requests AND continue to have your baby suckling your own breast as often as you can, waking them in sleep and putting them to the breast when sleepy and more open minded.

I would appreciate any feedback to my ideas.
    Thanks

Default Re: Formula and Breastmilk for Starving Newborn?

The problem with your idea is that while it worked for you, it starts a lot of women on a fast trip to formula feeding only. As soon as they get the feeling that they can't satisfy their baby, their confidence is shaken. A brand new mother needs support to BREASTFEED, not formula feed. There's already plenty of support for that.

ETA: An alternative would be to have the mother express some colostrum onto her nipple so baby realizes that there is milk in there.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rosiecatbandit View Post
    The advice I would give to this technique would be to stand up tall to the person rejecting your requests AND continue to have your baby suckling your own breast as often as you can, waking them in sleep and putting them to the breast when sleepy and more open minded.

I would appreciate any feedback to my ideas.
    Thanks
    What are you talking about here? I can't understand what you are saying? Stand tall to what person rejecting what requests? I highly doubt any mother in the USA has requested formula and been rejected?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Stand tall to what person rejecting what requests? I highly doubt any mother in the USA has requested formula and been rejected?
    I have had four babies in the U.S. and three in the UK. I had to beg formula for the fourth baby in the U.S. and demand a bottle in the UK for one born here. Once you inform the nurses you are breastfeeding, all bottle options dry up. It seems to be viewed that once you decide to go bottle (for whatever pitiful amount or reason) you can't go back. Which is obviously untrue.

ave the mother express some colostrum onto her nipple so baby realizes that there is milk in there.
    Is a very useful idea. Mothers are not told however that getting colostrum out is like squeezing water from a stone. This woman in our ward tried to express some colostrum but the baby was in a horrible sweaty stressed state. I understand new mothers could be confused but if clear instructions were given, like say, to keep the baby on the breast as much as you can, then I don't see why the first initial feed, if your baby is oh-my-gosh-starving can do harm.

formula feed. There's already plenty of support for that.
    You'll have to forgive me why I didn't just write you back one post, I am completely new at this.

p.s. I never got support or ideas to bottle feed. I don't think that people really advocate or support that. Even though only about 5% of people in UK breastfeed, the promotion of breastfeeding is massive. Bottles confuse and upset me so one of the reasons I chose to breastfeed was to avoid that. Thanks for your input.

You realize that you are on a breastfeeding support forum, right? Are you trying to stir up a debate? Did you put this thread in the newborn section so that when brand new mothers (who are exhausted and are trying everything to make their breastfeeding relationship with their babies a success) see this they will reach for that can of formula?

I'm glad it worked for you, but I think you are in the minority. I can think of 7 mothers from my small circle who ended up quitting breastfeeding before 6 weeks because of early introduction to formula.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

illli*sch.mommy:

i know what forum I am on. I am not trying to stir up a debate. When I offered a formula bottle it was only one bottle, and not even 1/6 of it, if that. Just enough to satiate that initial hunger. (Warmed under a hot tap so it was the same temp as my milk...it seems formula can be fed at room temperature.) I argue that most women give up because they are convinced their babies are starving. If you continue to keep the baby at the breast and stimulate the nipples and ensure they suckle more often than not, your milk is going to come in regardless if you feed an initial bottle.

What most women don't realize is that babies need to learn to feed and need guidance to suckle. I would think that if a baby realized he would get food from sucking on an object the lesson would carry on to the breast, if you were to IMMEDIATELY put the baby to breast after the frustrated horrible crying and frustration have ended.
    Anyway it's only a small amount of babies who are hungry and frustrated but I was hoping I could help those particular women who are ready to give up.
    It doesn't have to be either/or.

I agree with PP who said it takes a mother down that spiral of only formula-feeding. You feed a baby a bottle of formula and h/she will not need to nurse, which then will not stimulate your body to make milk, which then will probably make your milk take more time to come in, etc.

Also, I disagree that squeezing colostrum is like getting water from a stone. I actually think that is a huge huge misunderstanding that some people have. Colostrum is the perfect first milk for the baby and the amount of milk needed to fill a brand new newborn baby's tummy is not much at all.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

The purpose of this forum is to be a place where breastfeeding mothers can ask questions and receive help and support. It's not an appropriate place for debates about formula, hospital practices, etc. (see forum rules).

There are lots of posts here from moms who could still use some help. Let's get back to it.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--