Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help

Default Help

Good Morning! I have noticed at times after pumping or when breastfeeding that my milk or breast have a faint smell of body odor. Is this normal?
    Thanks

Default Re: Help

As long as the baby drinks it okay, I wouldn't worry.

Could the odor you're smelling actually be onion or garlic? Those flavors/odors are commonly expressed in milk after mom has some onion or garlic in her diet. In fact, it happens with cows, too: my Granddads were dairy farmers and they always knew when the cows had gotten into a patch of spring onions because the milk smelled of them!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Milk can actually take on the flavor of foods we (or cows or goats, probably any mammal) eat.

I grew up on a farm and milked twice a day every day for about 10 years. Sometimes, the milk tasted fine. Sometimes, not so much if the cows or goats (we had both) got into something. There were some weeds the animals liked but made the milk taste really awful to us.

Some cheesemakers use this to their advantage and feed their animals (cows, goats or sheep) special feeds or grasses to make particular cheeses with individual tangs.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Garlic makes your milk taste sweet though. Many babies prefer garlic flavored milk. If I can find the study I'll post it. Kind of neat
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton