Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A few random questions

Default A few random questions

1. How do I know when my breast is empty? Sometimes I think it is, and she's just comfort sucking ,but then she gets another letdown and I'm surprised. Other times she keeps sucking and I don't think she's getting anything and I contemplate switching her to the other breast, but I don't want to take her off the first breast if it hasn't been emptied yet, so she'll get the hindmilk.

2. Sometimes toward the end of a feeding, she'll start to gum my nipple and it hurts. What should I do? Should I take her off the breast, and switch because it might be empty? or should I try to relatch her onto the same breast?

3. Sometimes I don't recongize DD's feeding cues right away, and it gets to the point that she's crying because I realize she's hungry. Is there a better way to get feeding cues right? Should I just try putting her on the breast more often and see if she'll suck? Her feeding cues seem to be really subtle.

Thanks everyone for all your help so far . I am really starting to like BF, and we're down to just minor inconveniences instead of the big problems we had to start out with.

ETA -- one more random question -- #4. her poopy diapers used to look more like yellow cottage cheese, and now they're still yellow but very very watery. Is this normal?? Thanks.

Oh, and also, DD is almost 3 weeks now
    Last edited by @llli*swaddlerswife; January 22nd, 2011 at 11:40 PM. Reason: another question

Default Re: A few random questions

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*swaddlerswife View Post
    1. How do I know when my breast is empty? Sometimes I think it is, and she's just comfort sucking ,but then she gets another letdown and I'm surprised. Other times she keeps sucking and I don't think she's getting anything and I contemplate switching her to the other breast, but I don't want to take her off the first breast if it hasn't been emptied yet, so she'll get the hindmilk.

2. Sometimes toward the end of a feeding, she'll start to gum my nipple and it hurts. What should I do? Should I take her off the breast, and switch because it might be empty? or should I try to relatch her onto the same breast?

3. Sometimes I don't recongize DD's feeding cues right away, and it gets to the point that she's crying because I realize she's hungry. Is there a better way to get feeding cues right? Should I just try putting her on the breast more often and see if she'll suck? Her feeding cues seem to be really subtle.

Thanks everyone for all your help so far . I am really starting to like BF, and we're down to just minor inconveniences instead of the big problems we had to start out with.

ETA -- one more random question -- #4. her poopy diapers used to look more like yellow cottage cheese, and now they're still yellow but very very watery. Is this normal?? Thanks.

Oh, and also, DD is almost 3 weeks now

Here is a great poop link
    http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/general/poop.html

If she is gumming your breast or not swallowing anymore those are cues that she is done actually feeding and you can unlatch her.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Well the breast is never really completely empty but I never really had to unlatch DS. I just let him go until he popped off on his own or was actually playing around (like the gumming you described). Always offer the other side. The comfort nursing didn't bother me and I figured it was good for him. I was not much of a clock watcher with his feedings.

Some babes are hard to read with hunger cues. If DS didn't show signs I fed after 3 hours or so.
    SAHM to my sweet December baby boy.

Just my 2 cents... I would defnitely offer your breast more often. in my experience, your child won't eat if he's not hungry (bottles are different I think). Even if he starts sucking, he may let go after 30 seconds. Anytime my daughter fusses, I look to see if it's been an hour or so and I offer my breast, sometimes she takes it, and sometimes not.
    My daughter started feeding more at night, cluster feeding late at night because she wasn't eating often enough during the day. So keep up the feeding during the day so you can sleep at night! that's my experience.