Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it me?

Default Re: Is it me?

That's what made me upset. The LC said that my nipple looked fine. To me it clearly had a whitish ridge (like a U) all the way across. It wasn't as bad as it normally is because my LO always latches a little better when someone else is watching
    I have really small aereolas and was wondering if that is causing the problem. The LC seems to think the latch is good because he has all the aereola in his mouth, but I don't think that's enough, since it really isn't that much breast tissue. Is it harder for women with small aereolas? All the videos I've seen online and all the drawings show women with way larger aereolas. Maybe this means nothing, but I'm starting to think I'm somehow not built right for breastfeeding.

Nonsense on the being built right thing!!!!!! Of course you are! All this determination proves it even more. If your areolas are very small then there's a chance that your milk ducts might sometimes lie beyond them. Just make sure you are getting a wide gape and he has a good mouthful with more of the breast from below the nipple in his mouth than above. Areolas are just to help targetting - the size isn't important. What's more important is what's underneath i.e the boob and whether you have flat or inverted nipples (which is sounds as though you don't.)

With, VERY few exceptions, all mothers can breastfeed their baby regardless of how the "equipment" looks It definitely sounds like a latch issue to me too. Just work on getting a good deep latch.

I'm sorry the LLL Leader you called only does phone consults. Did you find out when the next meeting is? You can always go and get in-person help AT the meetings. We're happy to help anyone who shows up!

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Has your LC considered potential THRUSH? Just wondering. Also, try letting your nipples air dry OR if that is not possible, try not wearing a bra and wearing a thin t-shirt during the day, so that air can get to the nipples after nursing sessions. This alone was a LIGE SAVER for me right when I was ready to give up nursing completely about two weeks ago. Also, let them dry for an hour and then apply Lanolin cream. Avoid bras and nursing pads until this problem is resolved. Try hot baths as well and avoid soaps directly on the nipple. Apply lanolin right before you get in the shower or bath as well, and then right after. Try a product you can get a Babies R Us calle Soothies.

Wink Re: Is it me?

Quote Originally Posted by owensmommy View Post
    That's what made me upset. The LC said that my nipple looked fine. To me it clearly had a whitish ridge (like a U) all the way across. It wasn't as bad as it normally is because my LO always latches a little better when someone else is watching
    I have really small aereolas and was wondering if that is causing the problem. The LC seems to think the latch is good because he has all the aereola in his mouth, but I don't think that's enough, since it really isn't that much breast tissue. Is it harder for women with small aereolas? All the videos I've seen online and all the drawings show women with way larger aereolas. Maybe this means nothing, but I'm starting to think I'm somehow not built right for breastfeeding.
    Yes, indeed, a small areola could be the problem. Try wearing breastshields in between feedings to draw them out and also try using a nipple shield if you want, during feedings, to draw the nipple out so that the baby can get a good latch and then remove it once he/she is latched on. After awhile, baby won't need it at all and will latch appropriately right from the start. Also, sometimes if your breasts are too engorged with milk prior to a feeding, the baby will have a harder time...try pumping some of your milk out first, which naturally brings the nipple forward a LOT and causes for an easier latch for baby.