Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it me?

Unhappy Is it me?

Hi. Just wanted to ask a few questions. We are still trying to get this breastfeeding thing to work. 6 weeks tomorrow. I am determined to stick this out, but... I am still in pain and still have injured nipples (they start to heal and then the wounds get reopened.

I went to see another lactation consultant (third one we've seen). She said that the latch looks good and that he is sucking well. He is up to 9 lbs. 5 oz. (birthweight was 7 lbs. 8 oz.). I think that is good for 6 weeks.
    Anyway, she diagnosed me with nipple vasospasms. She told me to take calcium/magnesium supplements, which I started to do. I don't think that this can be our only problem. My nipples still look ridged and pinched when he is done feeding. (She didn't seem to think they did ) Maybe I am crazy, but I am not making up this excruciating pain. She also said I may just have sensitive nipples. Has anyone else been told they just have sensitive nipples? Will they (my nipples) get used to this or am I in for another 10 1/2 months of pain? Will this ever get better? Am I just imagining the latch problem?

I want to be able to leave my house with my son and I am petrified of having to feed him in public since our nursing sessions are quite long and involve a lot of relatching. I just want so much to enjoy being a mommy and feeding my son. It is encouraging that he has gained weight, but OUCH!

I think that I am done seeing lactation consultants. This forum seems to help more than they do (plus it's cheaper ).

Default Re: Is it me?

Well, if you're like me then things will definitely get better!!! I had the most excruciating pain and finally saw a LC at about 8 weeks (I think..pretty fuzzy now). I also had the nipple blanching. I am happy to say that we have been pain free for a long time now so hang in there!!! It's so worth the wait

Hi! It will get better- I promise!!!! I had deep, deep cracks (wounds, really) for 4.5 months- and then one day they healed. Completely. As time went on, I got better at getting a nice deep latch, but honestly I don't think my problems really ended until my daughter grew a little and had a bigger mouth and longer tongue. I know the pain you're dealing with is no picnic. But if you can hang in there until your baby grows (and they do grow fast!), you'll get the rewarding breastfeeding experience you've been working so hard for.

Hi. So sorry you are in so... much pain. I can totally relate. I did not get healed up until about weeks 6-8. I was told that my fair skin probably did effect the sensitivity that led to very sore nipples. I also have flat, sometimes inverted nipples that led to deep nipple pain. I can assure you that I have neither anymore. Some of the things that helped me were to air out as much as possible, squeeze milk over my nipples, let dry then apply lanolin. It also helped me not to prep my nipple. I was doing that for a while and when I stopped, the healing was faster. Now we nurse with no dread involved and have for many months. I also listened to soothing music. This helped with latch on because I was always a nervous wreck at that time because I knew the latch on was going to be so painful.

Here are two links that show proper latch. One has videos and LLL has pictures. Maybe that will help.

http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/positioning.html

Good Luck. It will get better. It takes longer for some us and when you are nursing pain free, you will be so glad you stuck it out.

Yes, it will get better! I'm sorry you are not finding much help from the LC's. Do you have a local LLL group or other breastfeeding support group/mommy's group? Those are good places to go to get out of the house when you still don't feel like you are able to NIP. Try not to worry about that part. I know it feels very isolating, but it will come eventually. I was not able to nurse my son in public until he was about 3 months old. Before that it took us quite a long time, and many tries on and off the breast to latch. Finally at around 12 weeks it was all the sudden a piece of cake. I think it did have a lot to do with him just growing a bit, as the PP said. For now, though, it would be good to focus on getting your nipples healed . Maybe some Dr. Newman's All Purpose Nipple Ointment would help the healing process. Here is a link that says what's in it--a pharmacy would have to mix it for you.

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/03b-t...s_breasts.html

Try to focus on getting a good, deep, latch at each feeding and holding baby in close (I'm sure the LC's have already told you all of this...). It may also help to try to vary positions a bit so that the pressure goes to different spots on your nipple. I really hope you start to feel better soon! Keep posting to let us know how its going.

What the PP said was also true for me: Hold the baby really close up under your breasts (kind of laying across your belly) and it will help with the latch. It definitely lessened some of my pain. Oh, and I also agree that as the baby gets bigger, the latch can get better. Hang in there!!

Quote Originally Posted by owensmommy View Post
    I want to be able to leave my house with my son and I am petrified of having to feed him in public since our nursing sessions are quite long and involve a lot of relatching.
    Are you relatching a lot at home? Or just on the go? Is it possible that the constant relatching is causing you some pain? I don't know nearly as much as the other woman here, but it's just something that stood out to me. Anyone else know if that would cause pain?

Hi there!
    congratulations on your new baby! Sometimes those newborn sessions do involve a lot of relatching. You can also gently tug at baby's lips to flange them after he is latched, too. Just stick with it--it gets easier.

You mention you've seen a lot of LC's. Have you been in contact with any LLL Leaders? You can click the link in my signature to find one in your area. A Leader can help you with latch. And the help is free!

Hang in there!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Thanks for all the support and encouragement. I have looked for a LLL leader, but the nearest one (30 miles away) only does phone consults.

I hope that this can be resolved on its own. Hopefully soon
    I think if it is not better by 3 months, I might have to rethink this breastfeeding thing for my own sanity. That gives us 6 more weeks. Things should be better by then, right?

Good for you for giving yourself more time.
    Your description of your nipple after a feed is a slight warning sign for me. What did your LC say about that?
    If the nipple is far enough into their palate that shouldn't happen (you mihgt sometimes get a nipple looking more elongated but not pinched or ridged. Suck your finger up to the first joint and feel how your tongue rubs on the end of your finger (imagine that's nipple - ouch). Now suck your finger up to the second joint and you'll notice the end of your nipple is no longer being rubbed.
    I would also recommend you have a look at the Newman videos on birthden and I also like this handout as it's really clear:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/a-when_latching.html
    It will get easier I promise but you need to get more latching advice if you can. Ask the LC to observe your nipple on exit. You will not always be in this much pain. I was also told I had sensitive skin and once latch was good lansinoh helped during the healing process. As for wounds re-opening you should use 'moist wound healing' in your situation and avoid scabbing completely. http://www.leron-line.com/updates/Wound_healing.htm

As for breastfeeding in public you'll be amazed how little others can see even if you are re-latching. Feed in front of a mirror or ask someone to take a photo - it's just a bobbing baby head. You're wearing a 'baby bikini' effectively. You could always have a poncho handy (blankets always fall off for me) for the relatching bit.
    Good Luck. You will look back on this as all a blur and the end result will be so worth it.