Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When can I stop pumping?

Default When can I stop pumping?

At what age do you stop needing to pump? I know eventually LO will only nurse before nap, morning, and before bed. When does that happen? When do you know they are getting enough through solids and don't need BM to thrive?

Default Re: When can I stop pumping?

My LO is 19 months and still nurses way more than 3 times a day. I stopped pumping when he would no longer take expressed milk which for him was 15 months. Nursing and drinking expressed milk is much different for our LOs. He refused milk from a sippy or bottle for a solid week so I figured it was a waste of my time to pump any longer. You will know when its time to pump wean.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Most moms stop pumping around 12 mos or so. At that point your supply is well established and as long as you're nursing at least 3-4 times per day you don't need to supplement with any other milk.

As far as LO only nursing before nap, morning, and before bed that is generally something that is controlled by mom, not necessarily something that just naturally happens, so there is no set time that would happen, if it ever happens. Neither of my kids ever fell into that pattern.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

So, after 12 months... do they start getting BM in sippy cup vs. bottle when mom isn't there? I know AAP recommends to rid bottles at 12 months and know several people who do so. However, those for me to ask are SAHM or weren't BFing at that time.

After 12 months if you are nursing 3-4 times/day and lo is eating a decent amount of solids they don't necessarily need BM when you aren't there. If you want to continue giving it to them you certainly can. Either sippy or bottle, it's up to you. My daughter stopped taking bottles on her own when she was around 13 mos. Some kids need more encouragement. I don't think you need to be too concerned if he still has a bottle over a year.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous