Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Silicone Nursing Pads?

Default Silicone Nursing Pads?

Have you heard of these nursing pads that are silicone and are supposed to not just soak up leakage, but prevent leakage? I think they are called lily pads...does anyone use them? Are they safe.... do they mess up your supply? do they work? Thanks!

Default Re: Silicone Nursing Pads?

i have liliypadz, but would not use them full time. I used them when I was in a wedding and had to wear a silk dress and couldn't wear a bra. I don't think it's a good idea to stop leakage, it's natural and I would think that long term use of those would encourage clogged ducts
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I used them very occasionally. Like in a swimsuit or during a massage appointment. I wasn't comfortable using them full time cause they don't "breathe"
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    i have liliypadz, but would not use them full time. I used them when I was in a wedding and had to wear a silk dress and couldn't wear a bra. I don't think it's a good idea to stop leakage, it's natural and I would think that long term use of those would encourage clogged ducts
    I have a friend who used them all the time and had problems with clogged ducts.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

I use(d) them round the clock for at least four months and had no problems. I do keep two rotating pairs, one for day and one for night, and I wash them every day (when I switched between them) with antibacterial soap.

I have heard comments of people getting thrush, but I never did. Plus you can get thrush w/o them.

I absolutely LOVE them, but I also felt like I was addicted to them? As in, couldn't stand the sensation of any kind of fabric on my nipples for a while.

They do stop leakage, but only to a point. If you go long enough, milk will pool behind. Once milk has pooled, if you dislodge one (like when rolling onto your stomach for instance), it all comes out.

Just my $0.02
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

My friend swore by them so I bought a pair for myself thinking it would be nice to use on occassion. I hated them. I felt like I had duct tape covering my nipples. I gave them to her.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

i got mine at gap.com if you want to get them. Maybe if i'd had more leaking i would have loved them. I guess i just felt weird about holding something in that wanted to come out
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

i have them and LOVE them. i wash them with soap and water once a day.
    i tend to not wear them at night, mostly because my daughter nurses nearly constantly before bed so i am pretty empty anyhow and that gives my skin time to breathe.
    Jenna, momma to Lillian (1/1/11)
    Cosleeping, cloth diapering
    milk donated to date: 3182 ounces

Thanks for the advice...I don't know much about clogged ducts, but it seems a little risky to try them. I have serious leakage, I used to think everyone had it. I am a big mess over here and I was one with my first LO also!