Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Foremilk/Hindmilk Imbalance?

Default Foremilk/Hindmilk Imbalance?

DS is just under 3 weeks old. We have been home together EBF for nearly 2 weeks. Until yesterday, his poops have been the normal, seedy yellow breast poop color. Now they range from darker green to yellowy/green and mucousy.

He has been gassy, but his fussiness has increased in the last few days. And he is wearing me out by having extended nursing sessions or cluster feeds in the 11 pm-2 am time period.

I don't switch breasts during feedings, and generally alternate breasts each feeding. He does completely empty the breast each time, but it takes 30-45 minutes or more to do so. The last feeding took an hour and a half - including a diaper change and 2 burping sessions.

I'm having trouble determining if this is an imbalance issue or something else. I thought it was an imbalance issue, so I started offering him the same breast for multiple feedings. His poop is lighter green but more mucousy after doing that.

I forgot to mention that I am on the following medications:
    Levothyroxine
    Ferrous sulfate
    Docusate sodium
    PNV
    Ibuprophen

We also had been giving him mylicon for gas, but tapered off when the poo color started changing - we wanted to try to isolate the issue.

This is wearing me out... any advice would be most appreciated.

Default Re: Foremilk/Hindmilk Imbalance?

At 3 weeks old, your baby's feeding pattern is totally normal- here's a link that explains it better than I can: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

Consistently green poops can indicate a problem with milk oversupply (often referred to as a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance), a problem with total milk intake (which produces green poops like oversupply but can be distinguished from it because the baby doesn't gain sufficient weight), or an intolerance/allergy to something in mom's diet (often cow's milk). This link may be useful as you try to figure out what's going on: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...-concerns.html

IIRC, iron supplements in the mom can contribute to odd colored poop in the baby. Perhaps the ferrous sulfate at work?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think that was what it was. I kept nursing him the same and think that either my supply adjusted or whatever was bothering him worked our of our systems.

So it's better now? That's good to hear!
    Karen

~~~~
    My brilliant "babies":
    Butterfly - 13 yo - environmentalist
    NinjaBoy - 10 yo - stuntman