Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: too much solids, not enough breastmilk

Default too much solids, not enough breastmilk

i had this posted in breastfeeding infants but i decided here would be a better place for it.

I'm having a problem. My little boy is approaching 7 months old and his schedule consists of.

Breakfast: 1 container of cereal and 1 container of fruit
    a little breastmilk before nap
    wake up: 4oz juice
    snack: one container of veggies and a little breast milk before nap
    dinner: one container meat and 1 container of veggies
    A little breastmilk before sleep for the evening.

He seems to be not interested in breastmilk anymore which is why ive been giving him more solids. My breastmilk has decreased and im lucky if i can get him to feed for more than 5 minutes. I really dont know what to do, please help

Default Re: too much solids, not enough breastmilk

So is he just nursing three times per day? He definitely needs to be nursing more than that.

I would start by cutting out the juice and replacing it with a nursing session. Juice is really unnecessary, especially at this age.

Also, until about a year old, solids are mainly about exploring new tastes and textures. Your little guy needs to be getting the majority of his nutrition from you. Personally, I would cut out the cereal and purees and start giving him whole foods AFTER nursing.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

I have no personal experience in this yet, but have been cautioned that until closer to 1 year old, baby should be breastfed prior to offering solids - nurse first and offer again after feeding solids.

Really, for the first few months on solids a little one should only be getting 1-2 small meals of solids each day. Multiple full containers of baby food for an almost-7 month old seems like a lot (even considering my formula fed niece and nephew). Remember that breastmilk is your baby's perfect food for the first year and beyond, and solids should be complementary, NOT the backbone of an infant's diet.

Many of the guidelines for solid food feeding assumes that a baby starts solids at 4 months, is formula fed, and will be fully weaned to solids by 12 months. The recommendations are for much larger meals than a baby really needs if s/he is still nursing frequently, and solids can quickly displace nursing. Juice is not necessary at this age and is really empty calories that fills baby up - you should nurse or offer EBM at that time instead. If you feel that baby needs nutrients from fruit, offer fruit at a meal instead of juice.

Here is the LLLI FAQ on first foods - you might find it helpful.
    Katie - mom to Lily, 8/5/2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MommyToAC View Post
    I would start by cutting out the juice and replacing it with a nursing session. Juice is really unnecessary, especially at this age.

Personally, I would cut out the cereal and purees and start giving him whole foods AFTER nursing.
    to both!

My 16.5 mo old has not yet had juice! He gets some cows milk at preschool, and at home has water or breastmilk.

I wouldn't judge by how long your baby is nursing. Many LO get really efficient as they get older and can "chug down" quite alot in a short nursing session.

My babies have been SUPER distractable - I found that they would nurse better is I went somewhere boring. Low lights. Not a lot to look at.

At that age it's best to offer breastfeeding FIRST and then try solids.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)