Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Really need some help

Default Really need some help

I BF my son for 15 months but it has been 7 years ago. It doesn't even seem real to say that! LOL!! It seems like just yesterday I brought him home! I ws able to stay home with him for the first year and we have a beautiful BF relationship with very few complications. My friend just had her first baby and is as determined as I was to nurse him for as long as she possibly can but has hit a few bumps.

OK here's the run down. Sorry for it being so long.

He is 7 weeks old and has hit his 2nd growth spurt about a week ago. He has had all the typical symptoms of growth spurts and I have been able to walk her through most of the things that have come up. He went through a phase where he would nurse for a short time and then wake up very fussy and I thought that maybe he wasn't getting enough hindmilk so she went to nursing him twice on a breast before switching. That seemed to sustain him longer which seems to indicate that he is now getting more of the hindmilk. He has been sleeping about 5 hours a night with 5-6 naps during the day. She will pump about 30 minutes after he nurses and only get an oz total between both breasts which tells me he is draining them. She can nurse him in the middle of the night on one side and he seems content but as the day goes on, he nurses every hour and gets increasingly fussy. She feels like maybe she isn't making it fast enough. I have told her about supply and demand and when he has his growth spurts this is how it is BUT I haven't heard of a growth spurt lasting 2 weeks. She is still taking her prenatal vitamins, drinks at LEAST 4 16 oz bottles of water plus juice and milk, and she is getting about 7 hours of sleep at night (lucky dog LOL!). I have dug as deep as I can in my memory but I am stumped now. I really want to help her stick with this. My gut feeling is that she is making enough milk but I just can't think of why he is behaving this way.

She doesn't have internet so I am here on her behalf and as a Mother who has nursed before I love to help anyone I can continue to nurse.

Please help! All Mothers and Leader!

Default Re: Really need some help

a baby thats sleeping that much at night might need to nurse up to 12 times during the day and thats ok....
    The more often she tries to get him to nurse at this point the beter.

Can you take her over supper? Play with toddlers?

He went through a phase where he would nurse for a short time and then wake up very fussy and I thought that maybe he wasn't getting enough hindmilk so she went to nursing him twice on a breast before switching. That seemed to sustain him longer which seems to indicate that he is now getting more of the hindmilk.
    Nurse 2x on the first breast before switching was a good suggestion! As long as he ultimately gets the second breast, this should not negatively affect supply.

In general, if you want to evaluate hindmilk intake, you look at the baby's poops. If baby is making mostly yellow, seedy poops, he's getting enough. If his poops are predominantly green and watery or frothy, then he's not getting enough.

He has been sleeping about 5 hours a night with 5-6 naps during the day.
    Wow, 5 hours a night at 7 weeks? I'm jealous. My 8.5 month old doesn't sleep that long. If he's sleeping that long, it's another indication that his needs are being met: a baby who is not getting enough calories is less likely to give Mom a long stretch of sleep.

She will pump about 30 minutes after he nurses and only get an oz total between both breasts which tells me he is draining them.
    Again, if you want to evaluate milk intake, look at diaper output. Pumping doesn't actually tell you much, since every mom has a different level of response to pumping, and to the pump she has. But getting 1 oz just .5 hours after nursing is good output, so no worries there.

She can nurse him in the middle of the night on one side and he seems content but as the day goes on, he nurses every hour and gets increasingly fussy.
    This is 100% normal. No, maybe 1000% normal. First of all, milk supply fluctuates over the course of the day, with most moms reporting the most milk at night and early in the morning. As the day wears on, milk supply tend to dip a bit, and many moms feel as if the evening is a "low flow" time of day. Often, the "low flow" hours coincide with the baby's fussy time and with frequent or "cluster" feeding. But this is no way indicates that mom isn't making enough milk! If the baby is hungry, he will be able to get enough milk from the breast, because milk is always being made. It may come out a bit slower than the baby likes, but he can definitely get at it. And since the baby is sleeping 5 hour stretches, I am thinking that he is getting at it: the cluster feeding he's doing is filling up his little tank so well that he can go without for 5 hours, which is amazing at just 7 weeks.

Here's a useful link: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html Remember, there are many reasons why babies fuss, and milk intake is just one of them!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Completely normal. Some babies are "marathon nursers" and some get the job done in 10 minutes every 3-4 hours. I have had both and there are ups and downs to each. Tell her to grab a book and nurse the day away. The housework can wait; babies grow up too fast.

And so jealous of the sleep! I didn't get that much sleep at a time until my kids were toddlers and thats only because LO can find my nipple in his sleep and not wake me anymore.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post

Here's a useful link: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html Remember, there are many reasons why babies fuss, and milk intake is just one of them!
    Good point and great link...I remember when LO was this age, fussy evenings were just the norm--I remember there was a time when the only thing that would keep her from crying nonstop was just me walking around, singing, and patting her back for hours. Thank goodness she grew out of it eventually! Tell her to hang in there, and enjoy the 5-6 hours of straight sleeping!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Try a sling or wrap. I used a Moby wrap with no shirt under it and walk around doing whatever needed to be done with LO sleeping/nursing in the Moby.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Not that you need to hear it again, but I agree his behavior sounds normal. No red flags there.

His poop could tell you a lot. If they're consistently green it could mean he's not getting enough milk (in which case he'd also have fewer than 6 wet diapers per day) or not getting enough fat. If they're mostly yellow or orangish yellow (even if they're green or yellow-green once in a while) then it's all good.
    Karen

~~~~
    My brilliant "babies":
    Butterfly - 13 yo - environmentalist
    NinjaBoy - 10 yo - stuntman

Thak you SOOOO much for all of the wonderful feedback! I have been telling her that this is all normal but you know, we were all first time Moms and she does trust me, in fact she asked me to be her son's Godmother, but sometimes, it helps to hear it from other Mom's and LLL Leaders.

I can't wait to call her with all of this info!!

Thanks again!!!