Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LO forced to not nurse for two days, need input.

Default LO forced to not nurse for two days, need input.

So, my husband, in an unstable frame of mind, took my son to his moms house for two days. I was not legally able to take him back, since that is his father, and technically he was doing nothing illegal. That is an issue in itself, and I am taking care of it, trust me.

Anyway, neither DH nor my MIL bathed my son or brushed his teeth the two days he was gone. Not to mention that my son still breastfeeds, not only at night, but during the day as well. I don't pump, so he just randomly went two days without breastmilk. He is 20 months old.

My question is, my son got home last night, and his pee is darker and has a bit of an odor. I know DH and MIL were giving him undiluted juice to replace breastmilk. He never, ever drinks undiluted juice. Could this be why his pee is darker? I am keeping an eye on it, and will be taking him to the doctor in the morning if his pee doesn't clear up, now that he's back to nursing and WATER to drink primarily.
    Happily married to the love of my life.
    First time mother to a beautiful baby
    Proud momma that practices and supports attachment parenting, and cloth diapers.

Default Re: LO forced to not nurse for two days, need input.

That sounds like dehydration to me. If he normally nurses a lot, maybe he didn't drink enough juice to make up for the missed nursing sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*TimsMom View Post
    That sounds like dehydration to me. If he normally nurses a lot, maybe he didn't drink enough juice to make up for the missed nursing sessions.
    I know this happened to me a lot when I was dehydrated while pregnant. Just push fluids and keep an eye one it mama.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

with pp's. Darker pee means more concentrated due to fewer fluids. Allow him to nurse freely and offer water often. If he's peeing, he's okay Momma. I'm glad you have him home safely.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I agree. Dehydration. Something to note if you want to keep track of reasons your husband should not be allowed to take your son.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    I agree. Dehydration. Something to note if you want to keep track of reasons your husband should not be allowed to take your son.
    Absolutely.

If you and your husband are in the middle of a separation or a divorce and he is displaying this type of behavior, I can't urge you enough to go ahead and seek the advice of a lawyer to get custody arrangements made for the time being. This happened to me when I was in the middle of a divorce and my husband took my son for two days past what he was supposed to without sufficient medication for his asthma. It was horrible. I would never wish that type of worry on anyone.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

I'm so sorry that you and your LO went through that.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

I think in your situation I might bring him to the doctor to get the dehydration confirmed by an outside medical professional. It would be valuable evidence to have if you needed it IMO.

to you and your son
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I think in your situation I might bring him to the doctor to get the dehydration confirmed by an outside medical professional. It would be valuable evidence to have if you needed it IMO.

to you and your son
    Yeah, good point.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn