Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping and Thick Deposits

Default Pumping and Thick Deposits

I pump only. I am starting to get thick deposits in my milk. This is usually a sign I am getting an infection. No matter what I do I can't seem to stop the infections from happening. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Pumping and Thick Deposits

What type of infection are you getting? Thrush?
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

A clumpy or stringy appearance to your milk can be caused by trauma (like would happen with ill-fitting shields), by a poorly fitting bra, or just a predisposition to plugged ducts. So- you might want to try a different shield size and/or a different bra. A soy lecithin supplement may also help.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I get an infection from a blocked duct. I can't seem to prevent them. I have tried different bras. How would I know if I need a different shield size?

If your nipple rubs painfully against the side of the collection tube as you pump, the shields are too small.

Soy lecithin should help with the blocked ducts.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

My doctor does not recommend the soy lecithian. Any other suggestions?

Okay, if you don't want to try the soy lecithin, here are some things to try:
    - New bra. I know you already tried this, but sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find the prince, right? Something with no underwire may help.
    - Different size shields. If yours are marginal, that could be the issue.
    - Different pump.
    - Bacterial culture. Sometimes repeat mastitis can be caused by a resistant strain of bacteria. Getting a culture and the right antibiotics may solve the problem.
    - Reduce saturated fat in your diet. I can't vouch for this approach as I've never tried it, but it certainly won't hurt.

Did your doc say why he didn't recommend the soy lecithin? My understanding is that it's quite safe, and I'd be interested to hear why your doc recommended against it.

how old is your baby?
    are you having cracks or bleeding nipples to go with the infections?

My son is almost three months old. He takes the milk from the bottle only.

I occasionaly get cracks but I use nipple cream after every pumping.

I think I need smaller shields. I have ordered some. I might also try a different bra or bra size. The one I have does not have underwire. I like the hands free style. I am just not sure if I have the right size.

cracks and yeast can go hand and hand have you taken any anti-botics for the clogs?