Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Spray or Reflux Congestion?

Default Milk Spray or Reflux Congestion?

I have a 7 week old who is gaining well and eating well. Her pooping has slowed way down since the six week mark, but other than that BFing seems to be going really well.
    Trouble is, she is always congested. It started her first or second weekend home from the hospital and I thought it was a cold. But she's kept it. She always sounds like a little pig, moving a lot of phlegm around when she breathes. Its particularly bad when she wakes up. She's (I think) a happy spitter. My first daughter was too. Spit up all the time, with every feeding, without fail. This DD is pretty much the same way; sometimes she spits a lot, sometimes a little. Most of the time it doesnt seem to cause her any problems, but sometimes I can tell its gurgling in her throat and she's not thrilled about it. She doesn't cry any more than I think an average baby would, and I actually think she's quite good. We have the 'fussy evening' problem a few nights a week, but other than that there's nothing to lead *me* to believe she has reflux.
    Except this pesky congestion, which I read was a symptom? But I also read somewhere (here maybe?) that a powerful milk spray can coat the back of throat and cause congestion. I have some serious milk spray...

I just dont want her to be suffering from something we can help Did I make the milk spray up? Any way to help that?

Default Re: Milk Spray or Reflux Congestion?

I have the same exact story, but my DD is only 2 weeks old, I hope the congestion doen't continue to be a problem. Sorry, not much help, but I hope someone else has answers.

My baby is almost 8 weeks. He has the same congested sounds.
    Pedi says its from drinking milk and its normal.

We've been trying to manage it by:
    - putting on the humidifier all night while he sleeps
    - tummy time seems to help
    - sitting him upright sometimes
    - sitting him upright to burp him
    - suction his mouth (just around the gum area and side of the mouth/checks so it doesn't make it worse)
    - some say to use the shower to steam up the bathroom and nurse in the bathroom (not in the shower).... haven't tried this yet
    - some say to use a saline spray in their noses and soften the boogers and suction it out (I just think this helps with their breathing)
    - some say to elevate his head area under his crib mattress but we don't do this.

HTH

I don't know about the spray issue, but reflux can def cause congestion, and some babies can reflux without pain/fussiness.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

While reflux can cause congestion, it may be helpful to note that none of the medications your LO would likely be given are intended to reduce the actual reflux, just the acidity of it -- so medicating for reflux in order to reduce congestion would probably not work. That said, I would definitely discuss it with your pedi, because long term inflammation in the sinuses can cause problems, and some babies also reflux into their inner ear canal, causing re-current ear infections, so it's valuable to be aware of the possibility that reflux is at play.

Keeping the head elevated can help with reflux congestion, as can age -- the older they get, the larger their airways get and the less troublesome the congestion.
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

How will the pedi know if it's one or the other? I really don't want to have to put her on medication and like I said it doesn't seem to be causing any pain, just annoyance at the congestion at times.

My LO has silent reflux and is 3 months this week. I started to suspect it around 6 weeks but I did not want to medicate her. Unfortunatley it started to get worse around 9 weeks (which our pedi said normally happens and would continue to get worse) and she started to fuss and cry more during and after feedings. So I decided to try the Prevacid because I didnt want her uncomfortable and it has really helped. She still has the reflux but the Prevacid makes it to where it doesnt hurt her and so she doesnt fuss or cry with feedings any more. I dont plan on keeping her on it more than we have to, but I've been pleased with the results. We also keep her elevated after feedings and for now she is sleeping partially upright in a bouncy chair at night (and she sleeps for 8hrs straight)- though I know we need to start getting her to sleep differently when she starts sitting up in the chair.
    I'm a proud first time mommy , born 10/19/2010 and a wife to an amazing husband

Birth 10/19/2010: 7lbs 3oz
    3 days old 10/22: 6lbs 6oz
    2 1/2 weeks old 11/05: 6lbs 14oz
    4 weeks old 11/17: 7lbs 15oz
    8 weeks old 12/15: 10lbs
    4 months old 2/28: 14lbs

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*angelpeach838 View Post
    How will the pedi know if it's one or the other? I really don't want to have to put her on medication and like I said it doesn't seem to be causing any pain, just annoyance at the congestion at times.
    You don't have to give her medicine, even if the pedi thinks you should and write a prescription, but by having the conversation, you can get his/her perspective and information, your concerns will be documented in her chart so that if it becomes a big issue, and your pedi is unavailable at that time (on vacation, for example) you may not have to start from scratch on the whole thing, and if any other issues develop in the future that might be related, the timing of your original concerns will be documented.
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

Thanks guys; I'll definitely bring it up at her 8 week appt and just let it be known!