Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: seeking weaning advice

Default seeking weaning advice

My daughter is over two and we just started weaning last week. Mostly started this because her digestion has been really upset for almost a month, and no other dietary change has helped. We basically went cold turkey because my husband thinks that stopping breast milk and then restarting is very bad for child - he grew up on a farm and remembers that once certain animals were weaned they could not nurse again without serious health issues. Is there any truth to this? She would like to continue nursing. We told her that Mommy's breasts didn't work anymore. Since then I know she's sleepy/wants to nurse when she comes and asks me "Still broken, Mommy?" I would prefer to wean a bit more gradually, and am worried whether this suddenness is bad for her. She seems to be sleeping better, actually. She wakes up a couple times to ask if they're still broken, but accepts it and goes back to sleep pretty easy. Harder to get her to relax and go to sleep to start, but no screaming protests - about this anyway. Maybe this is more about me? I'm going to miss nursing! I went back to work full time 4 weeks after her birth, but have still enjoyed a (mostly) wonderful breastfeeding experience now for more than two years. I also still have milk - not painful, but wondering how long it will take before I don't have milk anymore.

Default Re: seeking weaning advice

Welcome! I don't know where your DH got the idea that animals would get sick from starting to nurse again after stopping- I grew up on a farm, too, and that wasn't something I ever heard! What he might be thinking of is that animal mamas rarely want to nurse after their calves/kittens/pups/foals are weaned. But that's generally because those animal mamas are already pregnant again.

If you want to continue to nurse, no harm will come to you or your child. (See the American Academy of Pediatrics policy statement on Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk, particularly this bit: "Increased duration of breastfeeding confers significant health and developmental benefits for the child and the mother, especially in delaying return of fertility (thereby promoting optimal intervals between births).196
    There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer.197 ") I suggest checking out this article on "unweaning": http://www.mothering.com/breastfeedi...eaning-georgia

As to how long it will take for your milk to completely dry up, well, that's a hard one to answer. It could be present to some degree for days, weeks, months, or even years!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: seeking weaning advice

I really doubt that the problem is your milk - usually that is the best thing for LO's stomach upset! And most people wean very gradually. It's a process, not an event, so you don't have to worry about continuing to nurse while cutting down. But if the main reason for weaning were her stomach troubles, I can't imagine that this would help, but who knows!