Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Big Boobs and not sure which pump

Default Big Boobs and not sure which pump

Hello I am trying to figure out which pump I should get.. I had a medla but it just never seemed to suck hard enough... My cup is DDD (before baby number four, that is also an E) I was an F pushing bigger with baby number 3 and Im pretty sure I will get bigger yet with this baby... I just do not know which pump to get. my nipples themselves are not huge about the size of just under a dime but the areolas are about the size of large pepperonis.. please help I really want to be comfertable pumping...

Default Re: Big Boobs and not sure which pump

How old was your Medela? In order to get that max amount of suction you need to replace the valves and membranes ( assuming a PIS or PISA), you can also trouble shoot with them to ensure the motor works correctly.

IME breast size doesn't matter so much with the brand of pump but it is an issue with the flange size you order.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

And your breast size doesn't matter as much as your actual nipple size. I have large breasts as well (E or F when at the peak of nursing) and yet my nipples are quite small; small enough to have considered going to the 21mm flange instead of the standard 24mm.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

The actual nipple is "normal" I guess but does the size of the areola matter any??? The medla I had is only 4 yrs old NOW but back then it was only 2yrs and i have replaced the tubes with each child I used it with... Im wondering also what is better for comfert. most of the pumps I used i would get back pains or milk would run back down my breast if I wasnt sitting hunched... Also is it easier to pump while feeding?? (my kids dont like to change sides during feeds) if you pump while feeding how do you do it???

Hi! I'm in the same boat as you-so big that I have to hold my breast in place for baby while she nurses or it falls out of her mouth; needless to say, pumping can be challenging as well.
    I didn't bother with the Pump in Style (Medela) b/c it's impossible for me to pump both sides at once. For over $100 less, I went with the Medela Swing, which is smaller than the pump in style and allows you to pump one side at a time only. I had almost NO luck with the hard plastic nipple shields. Instead, I found the Soft Fit, which comes in 24mm size only, I believe, works much better. You can get them at Babies r Us or Target. I replace mine about every 2-3 months. The Swing comes with one shield, as well as one membrane, etc.
    Also-with the Swing you can adjust the strength of the sucking, which helps me a lot.
    I hope this helps!
    Last edited by @llli*estelas.mama; January 25th, 2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: add info
    and lots of cloth diapers!

Estela Kimberly, born August 31, 2007 and Sasha Julia, born September 3, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mossyoak750swifey View Post
    The actual nipple is "normal" I guess but does the size of the areola matter any??? The medla I had is only 4 yrs old NOW but back then it was only 2yrs and i have replaced the tubes with each child I used it with... Im wondering also what is better for comfert. most of the pumps I used i would get back pains or milk would run back down my breast if I wasnt sitting hunched... Also is it easier to pump while feeding?? (my kids dont like to change sides during feeds) if you pump while feeding how do you do it???
    I am large chested (G cup currently ) and am using a 3 year old PISA with no problems. As PP have stated, the size of the flanges is the most important factor on how well the pump will work. You may have to try a few sizes to see what work best for you. Also, you need to replace the valves every few months to keep the pump functioning at its best. Fortunately they are really cheap. Sitting hunched forward to keep the milk running into the bottles can be uncomfortable, you may want to try these angled shields found here: http://www.pumpinpal.com/html/super_shields.htm