Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mother's Intuition

Default Re: Mother's Intuition

Are you using the Haberman or the Meade Johnson feeder? if you are using the Haberman I actually still have 3 never used nipples and valves for the bottles. They are yours if you want them. I have no use for them anymore thats for sure!

So sorry the palate is involved as well, but it sounds like it isnt complete with the palate, which will be better in the long run.

((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

From a momma who has BTDT, if you need anything, even just to vent or chat...please feel free to PM me anytime.

Oh, and I pumped for 11 months for my DS, I wouldnt have it any other way!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

That must be so disappointing. But I agree with pp if anyone can do it it is you! Atleast your ped is on board with you!
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

I also had a cousin, I think I might've mentioned her before, whose son had a complete cleft lip/palate. She wasn't able to nurse but she did pump for a long time. He is about 18 months and she is now pregnant with her 9th. She is sooo patient, I guess if someone were to have 9 its her and not me. Anyway, I digress. He is a lucky boy to have you as his mommy, and you a lucky mommy. I can't wait to get to know him as he grows!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Susan, I'm sorry it turned out to be more of a cleft than you thought, but that is amazing you were able to figure it out so fast. Are you going to be able to continue nursing?
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Sorry about the result Susan but I'm so glad you followed your instinct
    to both

Oh, I'm so sorry that it turned out more complicated, Susan. I wonder how long it would have taken to diagnose it if you weren't nursing or weren't so experienced at it.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    Oh, I'm so sorry that it turned out more complicated, Susan. I wonder how long it would have taken to diagnose it if you weren't nursing or weren't so experienced at it.
    I was thinking the same thing. Wondering how many go undiagnosed and if it weren't for nursing, would it affect other parts of his life.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lorders View Post
    I am so sorry that nursing is not going as well as you wanted - hopefully you can figure out a way to continue to nurse and then just top off.

I know that the Kennedy Krieger feeding institute is in your general area - might be worth calling them as well to see if they might now of an LC who could help? Their number is (888) 554-2080 . I know at the feeding clinic DS went to they had some very young babies there - might be worth a shot and see if they have any references or contacts that might be able to help you.

I just read your birth story - and am amazed at how pulled together you can be having such big babies Can't wait to see pics
    I did lose it during that birth. My throat was a bit sore the next day from yelling about how I couldn't keep going, that I was done, that I couldn't do it.

Pics will come eventually. I'm just so occupied. This baby won't let me lay him down, and feeding him takes two hands. He's laying on my chest right now with me sort of slumped in my chair (because I don't have a diaper cover on him to let his already-stinky cord air out and keep the goldenseal I put on it off my covers, I didn't put him in a sling).

Why anyone would choose to feed a baby via a bottle is totally, utterly beyond me. Nursing is sooooo much easier. It is complicated in that these bottles are dependent on the caregiver and baby for baby to get anything out of it.

Our cleft team has an LC on staff. So it's all covered. I talked to her this morning, actually, and got some pointers. Unfortunately, she is not surprised we are having difficulty at all because it's so common to have a lot of trouble nursing with any form of CP and was surprised we did as well as we did for as long as we did.

The team coordinator totally gets it -- her last baby was also born with a CL and CP, and she was a breastfeeding counselor at the time -- and told me it was totally OK to cry all I need to. I broke down and cried half the night when I realized I had to start pumping and that we might end up EPing.

I miss the nursing so, so much. I'm actually crying right now thinking about how much I miss and wanted that part. It hurts my heart to not have that. We are going to try a couple more things and see if they work for him though.

I actually have just pumped and fed or used stored milk in the last 18 hours because he was getting frustrated at the breast. But GOSH, that's HARD. Baby usually gets hungry about the time I need to pump, or he falls asleep -- and he's like the others and won't let us lay him down -- so finding a time to pump has been very difficult.

We are getting a letter of medical necessity to see if the insurance company will pay for a hospital pump rental. They flat out say they won't pay for breast pumps and LCs in their book, but....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dara View Post
    Are you using the Haberman or the Meade Johnson feeder? if you are using the Haberman I actually still have 3 never used nipples and valves for the bottles. They are yours if you want them. I have no use for them anymore thats for sure!
    We have the Meade-Johnson feeders, which the cleft team made sure I had long before our birth, and he does seem to like them. I was looking at it and thinking a nipple shield is very similar, so I am going to see if that and my OALD (whenever it bothers to show up) will get it to where he can "nurse." Normally, I would not advise a nipple shield, but there is a time and place for tools, kiwm.

Going to go see if I can pump.

BTW, any new moms who read this later, stuck in this same boat....it's totally NORMAL to only be able to pump a half ounce or so, if that much, of colostrum at a time. And that's FINE. Your baby's stomach is just sized for that amount of milk! It's thick and fills baby right up. Don't freak out.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Oh, I'm so sorry this happened to you I feel your disappointment at the loss of the nursing relationship you wanted to have; I know it must be great. Thinking of you and sending you
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    They probably would have caught it either at the ped's office at his 24-48 hour checkup, where the lighting was much better than in the dim (on my request) birth center, or at the cleft evaluation, which happens when he's a week old (next Tuesday). It would have been found eventually....but the consequences might have been higher. He probably would have not been feeding well, a new mom wouldn't have known, and he would lose more than 10% of his weight.

We have a baby scale at home now so we can watch his weight.

I have been unfortunately dipping into my little freezer stash and pumping as much as I can because he's not really content to starve until I can get my milk 100% in; with my other babies, we just crawled in bed and I nursed to demand (even every hour if necessary)...but I am not getting enough for this guy since I'm not pumping nonstop around the clock (I can't -- not enough hands to hold baby and pump).

DH is on his way to pick me up a hospital grade pump right now (leaving me home alone with all these kids) as well as a hands-free bra the LC suggested. She's going to help me with the war we will be fighting with the insurance company to make them pay for the pump; she says historically, my insurance company is difficult about it.

I have been successful at getting him to latch to a nipple shield (!). He doesn't click and seems to suck well at it; with a little bit of breast compression, there is milk in the shield. Even if he's not getting much, it's good muscle development for him. If he's really hungry, it doesn't work well for him, as he gets frustrated, and I have to use the Meade-Johnson to get enough into him to get him to relax and then try at the breast, but at least there's a little bit of nursing. I was devastated at the thought of not having him at the breast at all.

Fortunately, he loves the sling. I tucked him in there so I could eat my lunch and type here.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!