Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mother's Intuition

Default Re: Mother's Intuition

I'm sorry, Susan...so what now?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Definitely pumping. I got mine out, and DH and I were talking about renting a hospital grade to keep at home.

But the ped suggested, actually, trying to nurse and find that "sweet spot" -- as there does seem to be some transfer of milk, since he has pooped a lot and was making wet diapers, and they don't do that if they aren't getting something -- and then supplementing as needed with the special feeders used for CP babies (and that I have on hand here). She's had a lot of CP moms over the years be able to do this and was very, very supportive. I was glad....I almost broke down in tears right there. It was one thing to know it was a possibility, a whole other thing to know it is real, particularly after we didn't think it was there.

Not what I WANT, but Bottlefeeding a CP baby, as I learned today, is not at all like feeding from a regular bottle. It's a lot more work.

The cleft team coordinator will call me in the AM. She was out today. She may have us come in tomorrow.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Not what I WANT, but Bottlefeeding a CP baby, as I learned today, is not at all like feeding from a regular bottle. It's a lot more work.
    Yes, exactly. The bottle is for training them to nurse. It's not a substitute at all.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Because they can't create suction -- he knows how to suck instinctively and wanted to at birth, but he just can't create the suction needed to get the milk out of me -- the special feeders actually drip the milk into their mouths as you squeeze at the "correct" rate so they can swallow it. It takes coordination on everybody's part.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Susan I am sure you are stressed and disappointed, which I would be too. But I do know if anyone can get through this, it's you! And you will be a wonderful resource to other mamas that are told to give up.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumma2thumper View Post
    Susan he is so lucky to have you as his mama.
    x 1000.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

I hope you get more info soon - sounds like you've got a wonderful medical and support team.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I am so sorry that nursing is not going as well as you wanted - hopefully you can figure out a way to continue to nurse and then just top off.

I know that the Kennedy Krieger feeding institute is in your general area - might be worth calling them as well to see if they might now of an LC who could help? Their number is (888) 554-2080 . I know at the feeding clinic DS went to they had some very young babies there - might be worth a shot and see if they have any references or contacts that might be able to help you.

I just read your birth story - and am amazed at how pulled together you can be having such big babies Can't wait to see pics
    DS-11/06- known IGE allergies to dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, beef, lamb, duck, amaranth, mustard and more...
    Outgrew pork, oats, soy, chickpeas, peas, turkey, chicken, shellfish and wheat. He has now outgrown more than half his food allergies

Susan
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Your LO is so lucky to have you.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!