Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mother's Intuition

Default Mother's Intuition

What an important lesson I had reiterated to me today. To trust that little voice and feeling that you will get as a mother in regards to your children.

Baby #4, so obviously, I have a lot of BFing experience by now. I have been nursing for 6 years. I have helped a lot of different mamas with a lot of different situations. So I know what I'm talking about in regards to nursing.

Anyhow, when baby #4 was born, we knew there would be a cleft lip at least from ultrasound. It didn't look like there would be any palate involvement, but the only way to be 100% sure was to check after birth.

When Gavin was born, the midwives and I all checked The two of them felt in there, and I let him suck my finger. All seemed OK. But....I couldn't get him to latch well most of the time. It just didn't feel right even when he did latch on. There was also this odd clicking noise, and not like the click of a tongue tied baby; it was different.

Then there was one episode when he was about 12 hours old where he seemed to regurgitate, but it came out his nose, and he was really coughing and choking more than I would expect. I was puzzled by that. And I started to get a weird feeling.

Since I have my babies out of the hospital, I am required to have a follow-up visit with the ped when the babies are 24-48 hours old. The midwife strongly recommended it sooner rather than later because of the potential for these issues, and we got an appointment with our ped for today. I mentioned that I didn't have a good feeling about how nursing was going and that he couldn't always get a really good latch. She said, OK, we'll take a really good look. The room was well lit, and she got out a focused light, and we took a good look....particularly when he screamed about us looking pretty far in there

And there is a wide but very posterior cleft palate too. Which totally explains why I was noticing the things I was noticing. Explains why I didn't feel good about the way nursing was going. Because he can't create enough suction to really nurse well. He was getting enough to stay hydrated but not getting enough to really thrive.

Follow your mother's intuition. If something doesn't seem right, it's not. Better to be safe than sorry later.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Mother's Intuition

Susan, I'm sorry it turned out to be more of a cleft than you thought, but that is amazing you were able to figure it out so fast. Are you going to be able to continue nursing?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Susan... I don't know that there are any words, mama.

So what's the next step? Are you going to start pumping? When do you see the cleft team?
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Such an important lesson Susan. Particularly for those of us who've BTDT with multiple LOs. Good to remember to listen to that little voice.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Susan he is so lucky to have you as his mama.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Oh, no! I know you were worried about this!

You do have ninja intuition, though.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Sorry about the result Susan but I'm so glad you followed your instinct
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

definitely true....and good luck with the cleft team. he'll be just fine with you watching out for him
    Jenna, momma to Lillian (1/1/11)
    Cosleeping, cloth diapering
    milk donated to date: 3182 ounces

Aw, dang. I so wish your mother's intuition had been wrong this time... But I'm so happy you caught this!!! Whats the next step, Mama? Supplemental nursing system and pumping?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I completely believe in intuition. I'm so sorry, but I hope you know that medical science knows so much now. Trust in the doctors - with many opinions of course - and know that it can be helped. Work on getting milk into him, getting him strong and try not to dwell too much on what's to come. I know (all too well with D's surgery looming ahead) easier said than done. But you have a blessing. Enjoy him.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn