Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best Methods for increasing Milk Supply

Default Best Methods for increasing Milk Supply

I currently drink fenugreek tea 3 times a day and eat oatmeal regularly for breakfast but I am still only getting 8-10 ounces of BM when I pump at work (3 times at 9am, 12noon, and 3pm). My son is 11 weeks old and I'm wondering if there are other things I can do to increase my supply for him. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Best Methods for increasing Milk Supply

Are you cosleeping/nursing through the night? The best way to increase milk is to empty your breasts as frequently as possible. I did that in conjunction with taking fenugreek tablets (3pills 3 times a day) and noticed a difference. But I either nursed or pumped every 2.5-3 hours around the clock.

That said, 10 ounces is not a bad output for milk. That's about what I get during the day and have never had to supplement. I did occasionally have to add another pumping session in after he went to bed to have enough milk for the next day before he was eating solids. Just fyi, baby needs between an ounce and an ounce and a half of milk for each hour you're away.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Unfortunately he's in daycare for 10 hours a day and he's taking on average about 12 ounces. I do co-sleep and love it. I think the problem is that my LO drinks more from the bottle and has taken up to 5 ounces (that was only once). I have my DCP feed him on demand and let him eat until he won't eat anymore, and I'm wondering if maybe he's eating too much but he'll usually nurse with me at 6:00am and then have his 11-12 ounces at daycare and nurse with me again at 6:00pm. So he's taking what he needs...but I'm not giving as much as he's taking.

Is there anyway you could get to work 20 minutes early and pump once before starting your day? Even though I would have nursed my son at 6 or 6:30, I still got crazy-mad output at 7:30 once I got to work. This was only able to happen for me though b/c my husband took our son to daycare.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rangersmom View Post
    Unfortunately he's in daycare for 10 hours a day and he's taking on average about 12 ounces. I do co-sleep and love it. I think the problem is that my LO drinks more from the bottle and has taken up to 5 ounces (that was only once). I have my DCP feed him on demand and let him eat until he won't eat anymore, and I'm wondering if maybe he's eating too much but he'll usually nurse with me at 6:00am and then have his 11-12 ounces at daycare and nurse with me again at 6:00pm. So he's taking what he needs...but I'm not giving as much as he's taking.

Babies will always eat more from the bottle - heck my son would drink ten ounces from a bottle if i let him. But it is possible to overfeed when bottle feeding. I would suggest starting with three ounces and if he's still fussy in twenty minutes, give him another ounce. I really don't think he'd need five ounces at a time.

Does he sleep in a cosleeper until you go to bed or do you all go to bed at the same time? The only other thing I could suggest is adding a pumping session later at night, which is what I had to do occasionally. But really your output is pretty average. And I agree with PP - I've read a lot of suggestions to pump directly when you get to work, even if you've just fed your LO at home.

You may have already said this, but what kind of pump are you using?
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I think your day care provider might benefit from a little more education about slowing your baby down on the bottle. Your supply doesn't sound low at all.

Otherwise, make sure you are relaxing when you pump, massage your breasts, make sure your pump is in good working condition...

You co-sleep, that is great! I really think you would be best off having them slow him down on the bottle, take frequent breaks, etc. Maybe they are already doing that. It is hard to pump and have the baby just as satisfied on the bottle as he would be on the breast.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.