Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teething biscuits/cookies

Default Teething biscuits/cookies

People keep suggesting that I try these teething biscuit/cookie things with E since she's cut a tooth and is more actively teething and is eating some solids. I don't really relish the thought of having sticky cookie goo everywhere so I haven't tried them. Not sure if they are healthy or loaded with sugar? Does it depend on the brand? Any good brands? Can I make my own? Should I avoid these? She doesn't seem to care at this point about what she chews.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Default Re: Teething biscuits/cookies

I didn't want my baby to have cookies at that age so we used:
    Frozen fruit
    Frozen breast milk
    Frozen bread/bagels/frenchfries/veggies
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

i never had teething cookies for Max, I just used one of the mesh things and put frozen fruit or frozen breastmilk from an ice cube tray in those.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Thank you those are great suggestions, I got those mesh bag things too as a gift so I will try them out.
    Christine
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    Thank you those are great suggestions, I got those mesh bag things too as a gift so I will try them out.

Max was even happy with ice cubes of water - I can't remember how old your LO is though, you may not be giving water yet?

Frozen grapes are good too. (i mean in the mesh thing, not plain obviously)
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I made my own, and even saved my recipe!!

Nutritious Teething Biscuits

Ingredients:
    1 large egg
    2 tbsp maple syrup
    1 tbsp molasses
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
    1/4 cup milk
    1 tbsp oatmeal
    1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 tbsp wheat germ
    1 tbsp nonfat dry milk

Directions:
    Beat egg and combine wet ingredients. Whisk dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients. Mix well with a rubber spatula. Dough should be stiff and pull away from the sides of the bowl. Roll dough on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick and cut into strips or desired shapes. (I did this very randomly, ending up with a cookie that was shaped exactly like the state of Illinois.)

Bake on an ungreased, parchment paper lined cookie sheet at 375°F for 35-40 minutes. Flip biscuits over halfway through, and bake until fairly hard and dry.

Disclaimer #1: These biscuits contain eggs, wheat, and dairy. Food allergies were not a concern for us by the time Joe was enjoying these (10-11 months). For a younger baby, skip the egg whites and use only yolks. We introduced these AFTER trying those ingredients out on Joe separately. At that age, he was only getting milk cooked into things or in cheese or yogurt, he wasn't drinking milk, kwim?

Disclaimer #2: Joe really liked them, but I think they taste absolutely awful! Teething biscuits are, by definition, dry, bland, and health-foody. They taste like bland, unsweetened graham crackers.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; January 20th, 2011 at 02:32 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks for the recipe! I enjoy baking so it looks like one I will try out (after testing her with the ingredients though I think)
    Christine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    Thanks for the recipe! I enjoy baking so it looks like one I will try out (after testing her with the ingredients though I think)
    There are more recipes on this website and many do not include the problematic ingredients for allergies.

My recipe was an adaptation of one of the recipes on that site, but I have to say, the recipe was badly written and I HAD to modify it just to get the dough to the proper consistency. I don't think they've been very tested, but they are a good starting point.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.