Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump Efficiency with Large Breasts

Default Pump Efficiency with Large Breasts

This may sound silly but since day 1 I have had a hard time telling when my breasts are really empty. I think this is mostly because I have hard time telling when my breasts are full (unless it's been 4-5 hours since the last feeding at which point they become uncomfortable). I feel like because my breasts are large (DD or E depending) they never really feel full and always feel a little limp? for lack of a better word. How do I know that when I'm pumping I'm actually emptying my breasts completely. I want/need to keep my supply up while I'm at work. My other problem is that I have a lot of difficult self expressing because my areolas are so large I can't find the right place to put my fingers. I never get more than a drop (just enough for medicinal purposes). Any suggestions???

Default Re: Pump Efficiency with Large Breasts

how old is baby?

http://www.breastfeed.com/expertqa/p...g-a-breast-393

I have thoose large areolas also... keep trying
    sometimes it helps to support the whole breast. and also sort of letting gravity help. I noticed that sometimes dd would have trouble latching on if things weren't pointed in the right dirrection for her.

some moms don't have much luck with the pump.

your breasts are not really that large...i wore a DD BEFORE pregnancy and am now a 34H (gasp).
    I can't always tell either, so i pump 2-3 times a day after LO nurses and falls asleep. I usually get 3-4 ounces per session, sometimes less at the evening one if she is on an eating binge.
    i figure that should be enough to keep my production high in advance of me going back to work next weekend.
    Jenna, momma to Lillian (1/1/11)
    Cosleeping, cloth diapering
    milk donated to date: 3182 ounces

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*happynifer View Post
    your breasts are not really that large...i wore a DD BEFORE pregnancy and am now a 34H (gasp).
    I can't always tell either, so i pump 2-3 times a day after LO nurses and falls asleep. I usually get 3-4 ounces per session, sometimes less at the evening one if she is on an eating binge.
    i figure that should be enough to keep my production high in advance of me going back to work next weekend.
    That is exactly what my problem is...I was a DD before pregnancy too. So I'm not much bigger now. And I can't even consistently get 3-4 ounces when I'm away from him at work. Should I worry about a low supply?

how long are you gone?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    how long are you gone?
    DS is 11 weeks old and has been in daycare for 3 weeks. I drop him off at 7:00am and pick him up around 5:00. I pump 3 times while I'm at work and get anywhere from 8 ounces - 10 ounces total for the day. It's sad because he's taking 12 ounces a day while he's in daycare so I know I'm not pumping enough.

this link has lots of tips for pumping more milk
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html