Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Underweight?

Default Baby Underweight?

We just had DS's 9 month check up on Monday. He weighed 16 lbs 10 oz which is only a pound or so more than he weighed at 6 months. His doctor told me he isn't eating enough and that I need to be mixing BM or formula into his cereal, not water. (When we started cereal I was pumping extra to make milk for the cereal but I got so sore from pumping and now I can't pump enough to keep up with the amount of cereal he's eating so I'd started using water.) I hate the idea of giving him formula but I did it yesterday. He is still nursing four times a day but only a little at a time. I have a couple issues with all this I'd love some advice about.

1. My hubby and I are both 5 foot 5 inches and thin. We always have been and probably always will be. My paternal side of the family were all very thin-fast metabolism or something.

2. I really don't want my son to have formula if I can help it, even if it's just a mix in for his cereal.

3. Yesterday I tried giving DS a little more food at lunch and at dinner (and the formula in his cereal) and he vomitted A TON of food last night about 45 min after he ate dinner.

4. He seems to have plenty of pee dipes and has at least 1 poop a day, sometimes up to 4 or 5. They were on the hard side for a while but have been VERY soft the past couple of weeks.

Do I really need to up his food intake and add formula to his cereal for more calories or is he destined to be little because his parents are little? A friend of mine brought this to my attention and also mentioned that the percentile charts are not designed for BF babies (his weight was below the 5th percentile). Thoughts, advice, encouragement???? Thanks!
    Mommy to Cole born April 10, 2010 BF for 11 1/2 months!
    DD, Ayla, born August 16, 2012.
    Birth weight-6lbs 3oz
    Weight leaving hospital-5lbs 14oz
    1 Week-6lbs 9 oz

Default Re: Baby Underweight?

did the doctor interview you about what solids your son is eating?
    sometimes I think they do just jump into the give formula speech because its easier then figureing out what is going on.
    Did they test his iron?

Andrea linked to some good info
    what have his milestones been like since 6-9 months? Has he started crawling, standing up? Just more active in general?
    From what I"ve read, Breast Milk provides more calories than solids.
    How often does he nurse? How does he sleep at night? Could you add in a "dream feed" at night? Maybe just in crease the amount of sessions he has if he is not nursing as often?

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Have you given him yogurt yet? I started mixing that in his oatmeal around 9 months because he loved it. Whole fat version of course. You do need to add a tiny bit of water otherwise it's too thick.

"did the doctor interview you about what solids your son is eating?"

No, in fact I asked her if I could tell her what he'd been eating and how much and she basically blew me off. This is the first time I've been disappointed with our doctor. She's usually really helpful and takes time to discuss even the minor things with me.

"what have his milestones been like since 6-9 months? Has he started crawling, standing up? Just more active in general?"

He's been army crawling since around 6 1/2 months, he's cruising the furniture nonstop; he's really active.

"How often does he nurse? How does he sleep at night? Could you add in a "dream feed" at night? Maybe just in crease the amount of sessions he has if he is not nursing as often?"

I nurse him 4 times a day but he's been really uninterested lately other than his first feeding of the day. He sleep through the night now, anywhere from 10-12 hours. I might try getting him to nurse more often but he really doesn't seem to want to. He usually sucks for about 2-3 minutes and then sits himself up. I've been trying to nurse him in a dimly lit room but that doesn't seem to help. He's so interested in everything around him, even in the dark!

"Have you given him yogurt yet?"

I gave him Yo Baby yogurt for about a week but the day I started and every day until I stopped he woke in the night 2-3 times. When I realized the timing of it all, I stopped the yogurt and that very same night he slept through again. I'd been giving it to him in the afternoon; his pedi recommended trying it in the morning. I did that yesterday and he woke in the night again. I didn't give him any yogurt today so I'm interested to see how his night goes... It's weird. My mom made a joke that maybe the active cultures are really active!

I appreciate the input ladies! Any other thoughts? I'm at the point where I think I might disreguard what the pedi had to say and just carry on as I have been. My son does not look malnourished or even bony. He has leg rolls, cankles , and chubby cheeks! I think on this one doctor does not know best!
    Mommy to Cole born April 10, 2010 BF for 11 1/2 months!
    DD, Ayla, born August 16, 2012.
    Birth weight-6lbs 3oz
    Weight leaving hospital-5lbs 14oz
    1 Week-6lbs 9 oz

Two things. One, if your son is following a fairly solid curve, then who cares where it falls on the chart? I don't. Everyone is so different. It's consistent growth that is the key. Two, you mentioned that yogurt is affecting his sleep. YoBaby is loaded with sugar. That would keep me up. You might want to try a Greek yogurt without any additives and see if that helps. Just be sure it's 100% fat. And definitely offer more nursing.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    One, if your son is following a fairly solid curve, then who cares where it falls on the chart?
    On the other hand, many of us had babies who fell down the percentiles on the growth chart!

Where was he before on the chart? 5th percentile doesn't seem unreasonable given his genetic background; was he a lot higher before?

I'm 5'2" and my DH is 5'6". My DD was in the 70th percentile for length and 50th for weight when she was born, but of course she wasn't going to stay there! By the time she got down to the 5th percentile near the end of her first year, the doctor was concerned. I kept thinking "Look at us! How big do you expect her to be?!?" She eventually settled somewhere around the 10th percentile and stayed there.

I guess my point is that it can be really hard to tell if there's actually a problem or if it's his normal. Would he be open to nursing more often? Or you could offer to nurse more often and just see what happens. That's a great source of calories and nutrition and one that he can regulate himself so you don't have to worry about overeating.
    Karen

~~~~
    My brilliant "babies":
    Butterfly - 13 yo - environmentalist
    NinjaBoy - 10 yo - stuntman

My baby weighed 16-7 at his 4 mos and 17-11 at his 9 mos, but in between those appts my supply took a big hit b/c I got preg. Just something to think about.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos