Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: "Rejection" of Thawed Milk

Default "Rejection" of Thawed Milk

My baby is now 2 months old and she'll start day care at the end of this month. I thawed a milk bag (more than 7 oz of milk in a Lansiloh storage bag, dated 12-01-2010) and wanted to bottle feed her but she is rejecting this milk. Why? How can I have her get used to the taste since I have a stash of these bags? Can I mix thaw and fresh milk? If so, how many oz should be thaw and how much fresh? Can you really mix two separate milk temperature (thaw milk - cold, fresh expressed milk - warm)? Day care only allows to store milk already in a bottle. For feeding schedule, should they give her one feeding session, fresh, then next thawed milk? Do I have to smell the thawed out milk first? How can I know if this a "bad" bag (does milk have a smell? different color?)? Is storing more than 6oz in one bag bad? I figured one bag can be two feedings (I guess I'm trying to save a bag instead of using two bags (3oz each)).
    Last edited by @llli*slag07; January 19th, 2011 at 03:23 AM.

Default Re: "Rejection" of Thawed Milk

Have you tasted the milk? It could be a lipase issue. If it tastes soapy then suspect a lipase issue. It won't hurt baby to drink it but it doesn't look like she likes it! Sorry I can't post a link my LO just started to fuss....gotta go!!
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

http://forums.llli.org:80/showthread.php?t=297
    This is the sticky on lipase in the milk storage forum.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html
    This is kellymom's page on pumping and storage.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*slag07 View Post
    My baby is now 2 months old and she'll start day care at the end of this month. I thawed a milk bag (more than 7 oz of milk in a Lansiloh storage bag, dated 12-01-2010) and wanted to bottle feed her but she is rejecting this milk. Why? How can I have her get used to the taste since I have a stash of these bags?
    See above re:lipase

Can I mix thaw and fresh milk? If so, how many oz should be thaw and how much fresh? Can you really mix two separate milk temperature (thaw milk - cold, fresh expressed milk - warm)?
    You can mix milk of different ages, but it should be close to the same temperature; I would never mix freshly expressed milk with anything colder than room temp milk, and newly thawed with warmer than refrigerated. It doesn't matter the ounces.

Keep in mind that if you mix milk of different ages, you should always mark the "oldest" milk's date for expiration purposes.

You can add milk to an already frozen bag, but it should be chilled in the fridge first.
    Day care only allows to store milk already in a bottle. For feeding schedule, should they give her one feeding session, fresh, then next thawed milk?
    I personally never stored milk at daycare. I sent each day's bottles on that day. They allowed you to store frozen milk, but for no longer than a month.

Do I have to smell the thawed out milk first? How can I know if this a "bad" bag (does milk have a smell? different color?)?
    If you have a lipase problem, then (very unfortunately), all of your currently frozen milk may be unusable. I've heard say that the best way to tell if milk is "bad" is to see if your baby rejects it. You should also take care to date your milk, using the guidelines in kellymom for storage times (generally 4-6 mos in a separate freezer compartment, up to a year in zero degree deep freezer).

Frozen milk will have all kind of crazy colors, so don't worry about that.

Is storing more than 6oz in one bag bad? I figured one bag can be two feedings (I guess I'm trying to save a bag instead of using two bags (3oz each)).
    Not bad, per se, but you may be trading saving a bag for wasting breast milk. There are less expensive storage bags that work just as well. I use Gerber bags; they are doubly good for me because I can use them as the liners for mh Playtex drop-ins.

Keep in mind that when you thaw frozen milk, you must use it within 24 hrs. That might be another reason to freeze in smaller amounts.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

My first suggestion was going to be a lipase issue. I had that problem, but scalding the milk seemed to work.

Also, were *you* attempting to give the bottle to your LO? Has anyone else tried to give a bottle? Sometimes it's difficult for a baby to take a bottle from their nursing mother. They want their milk "from the source", IYKWIM, especially if it's right in front of them. My oldest would take a bottle from my husband, but not me.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!