Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introducing a Cup?

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

Default Re: Introducing a Cup?

Charlotte is 3. She started drinking from a sippy cup with a valve around 12 months and no speech problems yet. There are days where we WISH she had speech problems . . . She speaks a little too clearly for her own good . . . .
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Default Re: Introducing a Cup?

I think the speech problems have to do with kids using exclusively sippy cups for an extended period (like, age 4). Also, using a sippy cup with a valve is very much like using a bottle. So, bottle tooth decay can be an issue with them also.

Using a sippy as you transition to an open cup is supposed to be fine. We started sippy cups somewhere in the 4-6 month range when DS refused to take a bottle when I was at work. That's only about 1 day a week, so we don't use them much. We're offering an open cup of water at meals (with help from Dad) now at 12 months. We sometimes offer valve-less sippy cups also. It just depends on how much mess we want to deal with.