Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing a Cup?

Default Introducing a Cup?

When did everyone start offering a cup to their LO? Did you use breastmilk or water? I would prefer NOT to use a sippy cup but a straw cup or a regular cup? My LO is 7 months old. Thank you!

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

Default Re: Introducing a Cup?

My boys are preemies, so they are a little delayed in some areas. I just now introduced a cup with them and they are doing ok with them. Mine couldn't figure out straws or cups with Valves, so I'm using the Take and Toss sippy cups. I started out with water, but have now put BM in them and they are fine. They sometimes have difficulty raising the cup all the way up when it gets low, but that's their only problem.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

DD is just over a year and we have been experimenting with an open cup in the bathtub. This way she can figure out how to drink the liquid and can spill whenever she wants. We just do it before any soap (or pee) might get into the bath. We aren't doing sippy cups, so far.

We started around 7 months. Around then, DD got very interested in what I was eating and drinking--trying to take food from my plate and hands, and started always trying to "taste" from my cup, which always had water in it anyways. I started letting her practice around then, she still gets very excited when she sees my cup and always wants to drink from my cup instead of her own. She's very good at drinking from a cup I hold but she can't hold it herself without spilling. I also use a sippy cup to give her water after meals and she doesn't seem to have a preference for it over the cup.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

We started at about 6mos, and offered a little water along with snacks, we did a sippy, straw cup were a hassle to clean. He did learn o drink from a straw no problem. We now 3yo, use an open cup at meals.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Around 6 mos here too. She would always want to taste whatever we were drinking (everything looks better on your plate/in your glass/etc.). At almost 22mos, she drinks from an open cup better than my 4.5yo.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

DD is 5.5 months old and we'll be introducing a cup at around 6-7 months. It will just be to have water with meals (she'll nurse before being offered solids). Few things are as personally annoying to me as when other parents allow their kids to cart around a sippy cup of formula, milk, or (sticky) juice all day long. We have no intention of doing that with DD - if she wants to nurse, she can nurse, and if she wants a cup of water, she can have it.

I've had other nursing moms recommend avoiding the spill-proof sippies with the valve because they're really like a bottle with a slightly different form factor and they can mess with the baby's latch. We will keep her on bottles for EBM at daycare until she's 1.

We have a Doidy cup (a slanted open-topped cup with handles) and to start we'll help her use it with water during meals. There will be some spillage, of course.
    Katie - mom to Lily, 8/5/2010

We started around 6 mo with water in a "soft" sippie. Then very quickly moved to a straw cup (take & toss). Neither of my LO liked a traditional sippy with a valve. Baby is now 16 mo and prefers drinking from an "open cup" with a little help.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks for your replies! I'm a little concerned about using a sippy because of the speech problems reported with it. Would like to try a regular cup or a straw cup. We'll see... :-)

I started a sippy when my son was about 6-7 months. He didn't get really good at it for several months. FWIW, I used a sippy with all three of my kids and no speech problems yet
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting