Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home-made baby food?

Default Re: Home-made baby food?

I had a baby food mill by a company called "Little Ones". It isn't around anymore, but the mill is essentially the same as this http://www.babyhaven.com/Kidco-Food-...paign=KDC-F700 Mine has been through my six kids and is ready for use with my second grandchild (I couldn't find it when my first grandchild needed it).

This kind of mill is not the thing, if you want to make large batches of babyfood to freeze. It is primarily for preparing baby's meal up to the table with the rest of the family. It doesn't puree things. However, none of my kids really needed to have things perfectly smooth, and I don't think most do. I put all kinds of things through it; cooked veggies, pasta dishes, potatoes, chicken and dumplings, etc.. I made raw applesauce, by dicing raw apple and running it through the mill. It can take a little bit of practice to get both hands coordinated to run things through, so don't give up if you don't get the hang of it immediately.

I found that it often helped to add some water to things, to make it a consistency that was easy to feed with a spoon, and for the baby to swallow. With extremely runny things, I added a tiny bit of baby cereal. That was the only thing I used it for. If I was feeding the baby cereal, I used either millet or oat cereal that I ground in a food processor.

I've also done the whole food things - sweet potato, squash, pears, apples, mango, strawberry, mixed veg (peas, carrots, parsnip, green beans). We have ice cube trays with lids that are great for freezing and then grabbing a few cubes to mix and match for a meal. I use a hand blender, which is quick and easy. I'm starting to leave the foods a little chunkier now that she's getting used to it.

By the way - I was very interested in those netting things for the baby to suck on. I asked my pediatrician about them and he said DO NOT GET THEM, as the nets can pull off the bases and choke the baby. He said he was surprised they hadn't been recalled yet. That totally changed my mind about them.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*redrabbit View Post
    By the way - I was very interested in those netting things for the baby to suck on. I asked my pediatrician about them and he said DO NOT GET THEM, as the nets can pull off the bases and choke the baby. He said he was surprised they hadn't been recalled yet. That totally changed my mind about them.
    Did your pediatrician identify a particular brand to stay away from? Our pediatrician said that some were really bad and some were better. She likes the Nuby Nibbler. The net on the Nibbler seems that it would be quite challenging for baby (or me, for that matter!) to get off. I'd be interested in hearing what your physician said.
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

I just wonder how you get that sucker clean it just seamed gross to me...

It can be very yucky. For us it all depends on what you put in it. Banana for example, is by far the nastiest. If you don't clean it IMMEDIATELY once baby's done, forget it. I soak the nets in steaming hot soapy water, then use a bottle brush on them (depending on the food, some doesn't stick at all and just rinses clean).
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack