Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dropped a pumping session = clogged duct & now a bleb

Default Dropped a pumping session = clogged duct & now a bleb

Sooo, my little miss just turned 11 months old yesterday.

I tried dropping one of my three pumping sessions on Thursday and Friday of last week. Then on Saturday & Sunday I made what may have been a fatal error and wore a nursing bra with an underwire. Hey, it makes my boobs look good.

I was hoping to pump wean. Plus, I have 200 oz in my freezer.

Anyhoo, then on Sunday night I had a terrible plugged duct that was killing me. And now that boob has a milk bleb that is incredibly painful.

I massaged and nursed like crazy yesterday with DD. I was off for MLK day.

But now I'm back at work and am thinking maybe I should just stick with my regular 3 sessions today to ensure I take care of that clogged duct. But what about the bleb? I have tried compressing my breast and milk comes out around it, but it's still there and hurts like crazy. Should I just keep up with pumping on my regular schedule until the bleb goes away?? It's not hurting the bleb when I pump, but it's crazy painful when DD latches on. I would almost wonder if her latch was bad, beause it hurts so much. But it feels fine on the other side, and it didn't hurt until the bleb appeared. The latch looks fine upon a visual inspection, as well.

Also, even before I started thinking about dropping a session I've been feeling more full lately. DD is eating solids, but frankly barely any food makes it in her mouth. I'd be shocked if she got 1/8 of a cup of solids in her belly yesterday, but I still felt that way. What the heck?

Any insight ladies?
    Last edited by @llli*yoginimama; January 18th, 2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Default Re: Dropped a pumping session = clogged duct & now a bleb

milk bleb ouch...

Has the bleb broken? If you express, does milk come out of that pore? If not, you might need to break it before the pain improves...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Has the bleb broken? If you express, does milk come out of that pore? If not, you might need to break it before the pain improves...
    It looks like milk comes out of that pore sort of around the bleb, which I just looked at. It sort of seems deflated now and drying out? So maybe it needs to heal. I think I have one refill left on some APNO. Maybe that would be helpful.

Thanks for the links, Andrea!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

OUCH!

So I've had plenty of clogged ducts, but never a bleb. I thought you could burst a bleb with a sterilized needle? Because, yes, OUCH.

As far as your pump weaning plan: This just means you need to back off more gradually. Definitely pump until you get rid of this clog and bleb. That's the top priority right now. When you're all better from that, I'd say consider SHORTENING one pumping session before eliminating it entirely.

I got a bad, bad clogged duct during my pump weaning process, and it was STUBBORN, much more stubborn than the clogs I had had before. It took a week of massaging, etc., to completely resolve it. After that, I was a bit more careful about the weaning process.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.