Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Working mother with supply issues

Default Working mother with supply issues

My daughter is 7 months old and I have been back to work three days a week for the last three months and just this past week went back full time (5 days 8 hours each day).
    The last week my pumping supply has dramatically decreased from pumping 2.5 oz each breast to 1 oz each breast.
    While at work I pump two times a day for 10 minutes each time. While at home I am pumping every two hours and nursing as much as possible. I even pump while she is eating her solid food meals.
    I have the babysitter actually giving half breast milk half formula bottle now just to not run out completely of stored milk.
    Any suggestions to help regain a supply that keeps with what she is eating during the day??

Default Re: Working mother with supply issues

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jjjg View Post
    My daughter is 7 months old and I have been back to work three days a week for the last three months and just this past week went back full time (5 days 8 hours each day).
    The last week my pumping supply has dramatically decreased from pumping 2.5 oz each breast to 1 oz each breast.
    While at work I pump two times a day for 10 minutes each time. While at home I am pumping every two hours and nursing as much as possible. I even pump while she is eating her solid food meals.
    I have the babysitter actually giving half breast milk half formula bottle now just to not run out completely of stored milk.
    Any suggestions to help regain a supply that keeps with what she is eating during the day??
    Is there any way you could pump three times at work?

Although it's a pretty normal amount you're getting, have you tried eating oatmeal? Taking fenugreek? I had to take fenugreek early on (and throughout, since i started my cycle again really soon) and it helped tremendously and luckily allowed me to avoid formula.

I think as long as you're nursing right before you leave and directly when you get home, and pumping and/or emptying your breast at least every 2.5 hours throughout the day and night, that's all you can do. Do you still nurse at night and are you cosleeping? I know that I needed to nurse during the night to keep my supply up.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

So you went from pumping 10 oz per 8 hour day while away from LO to only 4? That does seem like quite a dip. If I were you I'd pump for longer each session at work and do breast compressions.

There's no way you could be pregnant, right? If not, I agree with pp, try mothers milk fenugreek or similar. Hope this wrinkle gets better soon!
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

It could be the pump!!! see if you can rent a hospital pump for a few days to increase your milk supply.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair