Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to introduce solids for a preemie?

Question When to introduce solids for a preemie?

Searched the forum for a bit and couldn't find a similar post, so I apologize in advance if this ? has already been addressed.

Kyla was born at 34 weeks. She's exclusively breastfed.

Our pediatrician suggested we start introducing solids at four months, but Ky is not yet sitting up on her own, and she's not great at holding her head up yet.

Any advice?

BTW, our ped is giving us a hard time about our no-vax philosophy .... but that's a story for another day and another thread.

Default Re: When to introduce solids for a preemie?

It isn't really as much their age or adjusted age as it is their milestones. Our son was born at 32 weeks, but we started him at a bit over 6 months because he was meeting all the milestones for beginning solids. There is also a school of thought (that our neonatologist prescribed to) that with preemies the clock starts when food hits their gut (so at birth or soon after depending on intervention). If he had not been ready though, we would have waited longer.

With that said, I would have never started him before 6 months.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

My daughter was born at 33 weeks and we waited until 8-9 months. Eating was a major hurdle at birth and I felt it important to wait until her corrected age. She showed no interest in food before that and in fact didn't really start getting into solids until she was about 15 months old.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

There's no magical age to start solids no matter if the baby was born at 32 or 42 weeks. It is a milestone that they will reach in their own time. Watch for the signs and do what you feel is best. Some doctors still haven't caught up to the most recent recommendations of not starting solids until at least 6 mths. Some babies are ready at six months but most aren't ready until a little later. Mine all started around 8-10 mths.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Thanks ladies!

My intuition was telling me 4 months was way too early, considering what a hurdle it was to get her to breast (uggggggghhhh pumping!) and gaining weight in the first place!