Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Extreme oversupply in right breast!

Unhappy Extreme oversupply in right breast!

My little one is 12 weeks, and I have struggled with OALD and have always had a more plentiful supply on my right side than my left. My left tends to run on the normal to low side. I have block fed in blocks of 4 hours between feedings only on the right side since she was 3 weeks old. That seemed to work very well until last week.

I suddenly got extremely engorged on my right side within a matter of hours, for no other reason that I can determine other than I ate some mini-wheats and perhaps they acted as a galactagogue. My breast was refilling to extremely painful rock hard fullness an hour after being emptied at a feeding! My letdown was so strong on the right side that I was spraying almost 4 feet while I was nursing on my left side! Absolutely ridiculous! I was having to pull my daughter off during letdowns on that side, otherwise she choked horribly, as you can imagine.

I upped it to a 6 hour block between feedings on the right side. I didn't see much improvement in 2 days, so I went up to 7 hours and started using cabbage leaves, ice packs, and sage & mint tea.
    Within 2 more days, my supply on my right was under control. I still felt some fullness, but not uncomfortable.

However, this week it is back again. I've upped my block to only feeding on my right side every 8+ hours and resumed cabbage, ice, and tea. No change after almost 2 days again. My breast sprays really strong constantly if she nurses on that side, so I've had to resort to pumping and bottle feeding every feed on my right side to protect her from choking so badly. I've gone to only pumping 3oz or less every 12 hours from that side to see if that will get things under control.

Does anyone have any tips for anything else I can try? Taking an antihistamine has been suggested, but I don't want to kill the supply on my left side! What can I do? I'm tired of being so painfully engorged on my right side and not being able to nurse my baby!
    Last edited by @llli*phrynozoid; January 15th, 2011 at 12:28 PM.

Default Re: Extreme oversupply in right breast!

Bump
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Anyone?

I'm still having issues...Pumping only a few oz once every 12 hours helped, so I gradually went back to nursing on that side once every 8/9 hours because I don't want to accidentally dry myself up...that brought back the major engorgement, so I'm back to not being able to nurse on that side.

The problem I'm having now is that my left side isn't catching up to the demand of having to replace my right side's skipped feedings. After feeding on my left side 3 times in a row, my baby starts fussing and screaming and pulling, and I can barely get any milk out at all. I'm SO empty.
    My right breast gets engorged after about 4 hours now, but If I give in and let her nurse on that side after only 6 hours, I just exacerbate the problem by upping my supply, and then I start getting engorged after only an hour again.
    What do I do? She has to eat, but if she isn't able to get anything out of my left side and everything goes south if I let her nurse on my right side, what can I do?!

I'm totally at a loss. Please, somebody suggest something, anything that might help.
    Tattooed, pierced, mohawked, gun totin', breastfeedin', cosleepin', baby wearin' mother to a beautiful girl named Cricket on 10-25-10.

http://ourmonsterlife.blogspot.com/

Mama, I'm sorry you haven't gotten any ideas here yet. I think your posts have us all a bit because it's such an unusual situation to have one breast that's capable of feeding a small army and another that isn't responding to increased stimulation as well as might be hoped.

Is your baby getting a fair number of bottles? If so, perhaps that could explain her issues on the left- maybe she's getting frustrated that the flow on that side isn't as fast as the bottle.

One thing you could try would be to ditch the pump, and just nurse. Feed as many times in a row as possible on the left, and then offer the right once the fussiness kicks in. Let the baby stimulate a letdown, and then pull her off and catch the spray in a towel or basin. When it slows again, allow her to feed to satiation on the right, reserving any comfort nursing time for the left side.

I wish I had more for you!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have always had much more supply on one side than the other. The smaller side never really caught up. If DS still seemed interested after feeding from the smaller side, we'd switch to the over-achiever.

I had some experiences with the right becoming randomly engorged. I'd wear a cabbage leaf inside my bra, which helped a bit. IMO, I don't think you can avoid nursing on that side altogether. It will work itself out in time. Try the cabbage leaves as needed to reduce engorgement on the over-producing side.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

My left side was always a big producer, and far more likely to get engorged. Eventually, this balanced out, but until it did, I was also more likely to get clogged ducts/mastitis on that side. It was no fun. I would say, instead of pumping, get in a hot shower, and let your milk come down and hand express. This isn't as stimulating as the pump or nursing, so it's less likely to up your supply, but it will provide very noticeable relief. I think you're on the right track here, it's just that OALD and OS are stubborn, slow-to-fix problems. You'll feel like you're taking one step forward, one step back, for a while before everything starts to fall into place. Sorry, I know that's not the magic answer you were hoping for. Just keep on truckin', and it will get better with time.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Unhappy Re: Extreme oversupply in right breast!

Thanks for the help, ladies. I appreciate it. I'm stumped too!

She has barely had any bottles, probably around 10 total in her life. I've only used them as backup if she was choking really badly still several minutes after my letdown had subsided, because there have been times I'll continue to spray the entire time during the feeding- every time she'd suck, I'd spray and she'd choke and cry.
    I do always pull her off for my letdown, or she pulls off on her own.

I think a lot of times the fussing on my left side is definitely a preference for the flow on my right side (when its not all crazy). She almost always eats calmly on my right side when it isn't acting up.

I ditched the pump after last weekend, I just used it for 2 days so I could know/limit how much milk I was taking out once every 12 hours. I've just been nursing on that side otherwise. I'll do hand expression instead if I need to and see if that works better.
    The problem is if I let her feed on my left until she starts fussing about the low supply/flow on that side, it has only been 6 hours usually. If I feed on my right side once every 6 hours, it goes insane! It seems I have to wait at least 8 hours if I don't want to up the supply on that side. That leaves a 2-ish hour window where she's fussing and hungry and I'm not sure what to do! I just keep offering the left side, but she usually just gets more and more worked up.

I do cabbage leaves every time I get engorged, I just keep putting a new one in my bra when the last one wilts. I know it helped in the beginning when my milk came in, but I don't know if it is really helping with this or not.
    I also do ice packs when it gets really bad and I'm super sore.

Bleh. I love nursing, but this gets kind of nerve-wracking.
    Tattooed, pierced, mohawked, gun totin', breastfeedin', cosleepin', baby wearin' mother to a beautiful girl named Cricket on 10-25-10.

http://ourmonsterlife.blogspot.com/

Hi there,

I know this is a long shot but maybe if u exclusively feed only on the right & start pumping on the left it may "trick" the right side & make it start producing on a better schedule?

My right side is oversupplied also (but not as extreme as what you have) & baby hates that side. It never really matches the left side but it does settle down after a few months.

Cissy
    Mama to 8

Ages 17 years old to 6 1/2 weeks

Nursed them all.

Nursing baby who is 6 1/2 weeks & was born at 36/6

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamaof8 View Post
    I know this is a long shot but maybe if u exclusively feed only on the right & start pumping on the left it may "trick" the right side & make it start producing on a better schedule?
    If you're like me, this will send leftie into crazy oversupply, because pumping does that, and rightie too! Sounds like a way to make enough milk for a whole football team if that's what you're going for!! I would offer that right side a lot, though. Just be careful with the pump if you have OS, it can convince your body to make even more milk when the last thing you need.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.