Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When does "on demand" really mean on demand?

Question When does "on demand" really mean on demand?

My newborn is on day of life 7. She lost a bunch of weight (~12%) in the hospital, but by 2 days after coming home got about 1/2 of it back. I attributed the loss to all the drugs I got - planned c/s for breech baby #2 . Since coming home, I have really tried to not take the narcotics when possible and am now on my second full day without them. It's amazing what a good abdominal binder will do

So even though I'm not on drugs anymore, my daughter is still really sleepy. This is a totally foreign concept to me, as I NEVER had to wake up my son to eat. Not once. I have quite literally had to wake her up for ALL of her daytime feedings for the last two days, and for 2/3 nighttime nursings last night. I've had her on a every 2-2.5 hr schedule the last two days, and last night she went 3.5-4 hrs between feeds; that'll give her 9 nursing sessions in the last 24hrs.

I should add that she has started making mad wet/dirties in the last 48 hrs; has transitioned to all yellow curdy poops.

My question is: when can I relax and let her sleep? And for how long do I need to really push her to take both breasts? She had a few bright green poops in the last few days that I attributed to foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, as I was letting her switch breasts as soon as she fell asleep on the first one; I now make her go about three "rounds" with the first, then get her good and mad by changing her diaper, then give her the other. Only sometimes she really won't take the second breast at all - maybe once out of every three feedings. So when can I relax about giving both breasts at each feeding as well?

Thanks everyone!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Default Re: When does "on demand" really mean on demand?

First off. Fantastic job of getting back on track. Lots of curdy poop is awesome. I would give it a few more weeks of not letting her go more than 4 hrs at night. As for daytime, just give her as much free access to the boob as possible and you will be surprised how much she does eat. You don't want to go less than 8 nursing sessions in 24 hrs but more than that is awesome.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Congrats on your babes, mama! I personally wouldn't stop feeding round the clock right now. You don't want to screw with our supply, and you want baby to be properly nourished.

I'm sure you know that . I didn't want to go longer than 4 hours til my LO was 3 mos, i think. Are you cosleeping?(You probably said that in your OP and i'm not remembering) I coslept during the first few months and it made the night-time nursing sessions much less exhausting.

As far as both breasts, I just sort of let that happen naturally. My LO certainly didn't take both breasts every time in the beginning. My Mama told me to put a pin in the side that needed to be nursed next, but I could always tell by how full it was.

Keep up your awesome work, mama!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I just found this on Kellymom
    “My newborn wants to sleep all the time! Should I wake him to breastfeed?”
    Yes, if he does not wake on his own. Many newborns are very sleepy in the early days or weeks and may not exhibit hunger cues as often as they actually need to eat. Newborns should be nursed anytime they cue hunger, but at least every 2 hours during the day and at least once during the night. Once your baby has established a good weight gain pattern (at least 4-5
    ounces per week, for babies under 4 months), you can stop waking baby to nurse and let him set his own pattern.

“My baby just started sleeping longer at night. Do I need to wake him to nurse?”
    If your baby is younger than 4 weeks, then it is a good idea to wake baby at least every 4-5 hours at night to nurse if he does not wake on his own. If your child is older than 4 weeks, you can allow baby to sleep as long as he wants at night as long as he is peeing, pooping, and gaining weight within normal parameters.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

With a sleepy baby you can't really wait for them to demand. It sounds like you're doing great offering to nurse often and keeping her going when she gets sleepy. I think you're right to keep her nursing on one side for as long as you can (yellow curdy poops, yeah!! ). It's probably okay if she doesn't take the second side if you're nursing frequently. In the first few weeks you want to aim for 8-12 feedings in 24 hours.

The effects of narcotics can last a surprisingly long time in babies, but she should start being more alert in the week or so and start letting you know when she's hungry.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thanks for the excellent advice everyone! Sounds as the I'll keep clock watching for now. Of course now that I've written this topic, she's woken up on her own for the last three feedings...

As far as one boob vs two boobs, I just wanted to make sure I wasnt going to completely mess up my supply by only giving one at a time this early on. I guess if it's just occasionally, then it's okay. Thanks all!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Just and update: she is doing much better. I still have to wake her up for her overnight feed(s), but during the day she's usually good to go. I came back to ask how long I needed to wake her up at night, but then read my own thread first and saw that it's at 4-6 weeks. Thanks again!

ETA: also, she was 5oz over her birth weight at her 2 week checkup, which I did @ 10 days b/c I was just nervous.
    Last edited by @llli*jeno; January 24th, 2011 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Added weight
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

fantastic job momma!
    Jenna, momma to Lillian (1/1/11)
    Cosleeping, cloth diapering
    milk donated to date: 3182 ounces